This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

It can seem to be an impossible task these days. Between studying, doing readings, revising, and more studying – where does time for you even fit into the equation? Here are a few of the things I do to make myself feel like a functioning human again after hitting the books.

1. Grab a bite to eat with a friend

After studying in my room all day yesterday, I didn’t realize how much of a break I needed until my suitemate suggested grabbing pizza (&pizza is the bomb!) for dinner. We had the best time and I’m so glad that I went. Breaks, especially ones that include a yummy meal, are always good. You can go back to work with a replinished mind and a full stomach:)

2. Pilates and yoga

I just recently, this past summer, got into pilates. It’s a great combination of stress relief and excersise and I try to do it as often as I can. I admit, it can be really hard to make yourself workout, but with pilates, once you get into it, it doesn’t feel like a workout at all. The same can be said for yoga too! Here are a few youtube links to some of my favorites! https://www.youtube.com/user/blogilates and https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCEbbyBuyQiHpKiOMj9GFhVw

3. read a book

I’ve always been an avid reader, so reading has always been one of the best breaks from reality for me. Romantic comedies are always a guilty pleasure. If you haven’t seen it yet, my Top Ten Books For College Girls Who Just Want Time To Read is a good place to start!

4. take a walk

We are in DC, so why not take advantage of it! During my break times, I love to walk around campus with my earbuds in just watching the world go round. It’s really fun – especially if you make up stories about the people walking by! By doing this, I’ve learned how to really appreciate the time I spend alone, and how important it is to give yourself a little break.

5. watch a show!

One of my favorite things to do when I need to take time for myself is to get in some good old Netflix time. My favorites are Jane the Virgin, Anne with an E, Blood of Zeus, and all the cooking documentaries (they are actually very interesting)

Out of all the suggestions I have written here, I wanted to reiterate how important it is to make some time for yourself. College, as I have been learning, is a balancing act and part of that act is being able to right by yourself and your mental health. You matter and you deserve breaks.

Audrey is a campus correspondent for HerCampus and is a junior Political Science major at The George Washington University. She has a passion for writing about literature, wellness, and mental health. Outside of HerCampus, she is involved with the GWPLSA and The Public Education Network. In her free time, Audrey enjoys reading, watching movies, visiting museums, doing Pilates, and hanging out with friends.