How to Show Your Parents DC During Parents Weekend

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

We’re nearly halfway through the semester and you’ve got this college thing down pat: If you’re a returning student, you’ve gotten back in the swing of things, joined your old clubs, and everything is just like it was when you left for summer break. If you’re a freshman, you’ve figured out just how late you can get up and still make it to that 8am, what the lightest foods are at J-Street (when you pay by the pound, every little thing counts!), and—of course—which monuments are the coolest to see at night.

Now, mom and dad are packing their bags to come join you! Well, at least for a weekend. Parents’ weekend at GW is October 19-21, and now it’s up to you to figure out how to show them this wonderful city you call home: How should I pick which neighborhoods to show them? Which museums? GW has on-campus events to entertain parents, but for those families looking to take advantage of the city, let this guide serve as inspiration:

For the Foodie Family

Want to show your family all the amazing food DC has to offer, but can’t pick just one place? Consider taking a DC Food Tour through neighborhoods such as Capitol Hill, Georgetown, Dupont Circle, and more! (Got a sweet tooth? There are also DC chocolate tours…)

For the History Buffs

DC is an area replete with history—as the many museums and monuments can attest. Learn something unexpected about the region by taking a ghost tour! Take a tour of some of the most haunted spots in DC, or get out of the city and take an equally haunted tour of Old Town Alexandria.

For the Museum Lovers

For those headed the more traditional route of DC museums, shake up your weekend by participating in a museum event! Try a scavenger hunt at the Museum of American History, or—if you’re not afraid of things that go bump in the night—try the Crime & Punishment Museum’s Fright At the Museum!

These ideas represent the tip of the iceberg: It is near impossible to squeeze all of DC into one weekend! Got any more ideas for showing DC to the ‘rents? Comment below to add your thoughts!