How to LAND a Guy in Ten Minutes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Kate Hudson taught us “how to lose a guy in ten days,” but I think it’s safe to say that her character was mentally insane; I mean, who would want to lose Matthew McConaughey?! Sure we all have our “guy experiences” that we wish we never pursued, (and try to get rid of right away); but the majority of the time we’re looking to attract – not detract – men.  So no offence to Kate Hudson, but I think my advice is going to be a slightly more valuable.  (Unless you’re goal in life is to repel men…in which case, I think bathing in sewage water should do the trick).

Now, I’m going to preface these guidelines by saying: there is a definite difference between landing a guy and keeping a guy. Sometimes, you can do everything right in terms of attracting a guy, sparking his interest, and even making him like you. Yet, if the guy isn’t on the prowl for a relationship, it doesn’t matter who you are, how you act, or what you look like; he’ll still run for the hills at the thought of commitment.
That being said, the following advice will help you land a guy but it will not necessarily make him your boyfriend…(hint: I’ll save that for a later article).  
    So, let’s pretend that it’s Saturday night. You and you’re friends decide to spice up your weekly routine, and try a bar that you’ve never been to before. (You know…that bar on the corner that consistently has hot guys waiting in line but you’ve never ventured past the sidewalk? Yes, that one.) Upon entering the bar, you feel as though you’ve stepped through a mirror and entered the magical world of Narnia.  No…the guys are not half-man, half-horse….But they’re sexy, they’re normal, and they’re checking you out.  So how do you get a guy to go from looking at you to approaching you? Try the following:

1.    Walk in with confidence.  If you have to walk down a flight of stairs, make sure that you OWN THEM. That means: hold your head high, walk slowly with rhythm, flash your smile, and don’t look at the ground.  Guys will be more inclined to like you if you show them that YOU like you. So don’t act insecure or sheepishly hide behind a friend; make an entrance and strut your stuff.
2.    Buy a drink for yourself. Don’t wait for a guy to buy one for you. Show every guy in that bar that you are a strong, independent woman who does not need a man to take care of her.  They’ll respect you for knowing what you want and going for it.  (Of course, if you’ve been talking to a guy for a while and he wants to treat you to a drink, it’s ok to let him be a gentleman – just make sure you offer to buy him the next round).
3.    Dress with classex. (Yes, I just made that word up…but I wanted to combine the words “classy and sexy” and that was the first thing that came to mind).  When you go out, the key is to flatter your body and emphasize your assets; but you still want to leave something to the imagination.  If you let it all hang out there, the guy will only want you for one thing…and then he’ll eventually lose interest because you’re showing him everything right off the bat. Keep it classy – (yet sexy), and you’ll be good to go.
4.    Master the art of eye contact.  We’ve all heard the term “eye sex,” before; and I’m here to tell you that it’s a real thing (and thankfully, it’s one form of sex that can’t get you pregnant).  If you can lock eyes with the hot guy across the bar for a minimum of 3 seconds, give him a seductive grin, and then bite your straw; he’ll be approaching you before you know it.  (Just remember that there is a fine line between a sexy glance and a creepy stare; eye sex is not a staring contest, so don’t freak him out).
5.    Be YOU. Once you start to engage in conversation, don’t be afraid to let your true personality shine through.  Be interesting, be funny, and make him want to talk to you.  Don’t just have witty bar banter and then proceed to make out. Getting him to want to hook up with you is easy…but if you can get him to want to talk to you then you’ve really succeeded (and the relationship will have much more potential).

So there you have it! If you follow this advice I can guarantee that you will meet a guy within 10 minutes of entering a bar or social setting.  Maybe this will inspire Kate Hudson to do a sequel? (And if she needs a stunt double for the make out scenes with Matthew McConaughey…I’ll gladly volunteer).

Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.