How to Dress to Impress for an Internship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

DC is a place where things happen fast and it seems like everyone is always networking. We’re well into the second semester and I’m sure a lot of you are either starting a new internship or returning to the same one you’ve had since the beginning of the year. Maybe you’re schlepping coffee all day long just hoping to move up that corporal ladder. Well it’s time to throw away the boring looks that you’re used to wearing to the office. If you look put together, your boss will definitely be impressed. Here are some tips to go from drab to fab at work.

Back to Basics
            While it’s true that you can never go wrong with a blazer and pencil skirt, this combo can get very old very fast. The trick is to try new twists on the classics. Not only does this blazerfrom Forever 21 have cool lace details, but it also comes in cream, a great color for spring ($27.80). Guessalso has the perfect black blazer with all-over lace overlay ($89.95). These two blazers will give you the perfect combination of sassy and sophisticated without being stuffy. If you want to stand out in the office, try thisblazer from Zara with an amazing Chanel-esque print and faux leather piping ($89.90). Pair with simple pants or skirt for a polished but eye-catching look! Instead of wearing that same old button down shirt, try an eye-catching look like this Anarchy Street sequincollar shirt ($32). I’m obsessed with this shirt and this brand in general.
            As for the pencil skirt, there are lots of things you can do to switch it up. The easiest is to simply change your color palate- try on a neon yellow skirt for a pop of color! I love this neonskirt from ASOS ($26.86). It’s also slightly high-wasted and hits right below the knee, making you look extra tall…always a plus. If you wanna show that you’re business in the front party in the back, try an asymmetric skirt! This pleatedasymmetrical skirt from Zara is a great way to stay professional but never boring and also happens to come in an amazing emerald color ($59.90).

Accessorize
            Even if you’re wearing the drabbest of drab, the right accessories can save your look. Add a stand out necklace, a statement ring, or an amazing clutch to any outfit and you’ll go from drab to fab. Also, mix and match different accessories with different outfits to add a completely new spin on an old look! If you’re feeling ironic, rock these fake glassesfrom H&M from time to time—you’ll look geek chic ($7.95). This layered necklacefrom Madewell has a great deep red color that will be sure to stand out against any boring blazer ($39). Wear this pocket watcharound your neck instead of your wrist and you’ll never be late ($5.95)! As for your wrist, Anarchy Street has 2 great bracelets to offer: a cool skullhead bracelet ($32), and a woven chain($21). Last but not least, don’t forget to switch your same old pearl earrings out for something better. Namely, these Juliet & Company updatedvintage pearl earrings with extra gold detail ($28). Want a new twist on those old hoop earrings? Try thisUrban Outfitters pair in turquoise, ivory, or clear ($34).
            When you’re working you really want to be comfortable but always looking to impress. No intern is gonna get noticed wearing the same thing every day…sorry! Of course always check to see if there’s a certain dress code in your office and generally follow what the others are wearing until you get the hang of it. Once you’ve started to fit in, it’s time to stand out! It’s as easy as wearing a bold necklace. If you’re looking for other tips on starting or ending an internship, or just maintaining the one you have, check out http://edinterndiaries.blogspot.com/. It’s loaded with tons of great tips from 6 different people all working in different facets of the magazine industry. Even if that’s not where you’re headed, there’s wisdom for you too like what to keep in your purse or how to suck up to your boss without going overboard.

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.
Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.