Haute or Not? The 5 Worst Dressed at the SAG Awards Red Carpet 2016

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Answer this: If you had designers at your beck and call, every dress at your disposal, and killer stylists at your leisure (Rachel Zoe or Brad Goreski, your choice), wouldn’t you undoubtedly look freaking fabulous at an award show?

Logically, you would. And practically, it seems overly possible (see above resources). Yet, in reality, for reasons unbeknownst to me, A-list celebs are repeatedly committing fashion crimes against humanity left and right. The fashion police in me (RIP Joan Rivers) would whip out my handcuffs and lock these couture criminals in a jail cell with 1 BILLION issues of Vogue until they earned a passing grade in Red Carpet Do’s and Don’ts 101. Sadly, I’m not a certified cop and I doubt Obama would willingly pass an executive order decreeing that all red carpet dresses not up to my personal standards be burned. So, all I can do is tell you, my loyal fashion followers, who I believe seriously missed the mark during the January 30th, 2016 SAG Awards.

The following faux-pas are in no specific order of horrendousness. They all suck.

All images provides by harpersbazaar.com

1.     Nicole Kidman in Gucci. Newsflash Nicole, you’re not 13, so don’t dress like you are. Please and thanks. This screams Brooke Davis, One Tree Hill, circa 2003. In other words, sparkly and juvenile. 

2.     Brie Larson in Versace. Personally, I’m not one for DIY project but I get that they were like, super, totally, cool for a while there. Sadly, that time has passed which makes this dress all the more horrible. It seriously looks like Ms. Brie took a bed sheet, made a few twist and cuts, tied it all up with bits of aluminum foil, and called it a red carpet dress. No. Just no.

3.     Priyanka Chopra in Monique Lhuillier. Love her, love Quantico, HATE this dress. Serious question, did she win overall performance…at the beauty pageant? 

4.     Ellie Kemper in Peter Pilotto. Throwback to Pre-K where we learned about shapes and colors. Let me know if this was intended to be a geometry lesson because that’s sure as hell what it looks like! Although, she’s gorgeous and her hair and makeup are on point…so I’ll let it slide.  

5.     Julianne Moore in a green Givenchy Couture. Green may mean go in most cases, but this emerald gown is screaming STOP! Julianne, you can do SO much better than this prom dress gone wrong. 

I’m a Pennsylvania native currently studying journalism at The George Washington University. I’m a skin care obsessee, true believer in the power of a super sized iced coffee and completely addicted to all things pop culture.  INSTAGRAM: @samholender