Illustrated graphic of The Handmaid’s Tale
Original illustration by Grace O’Reilly

Handmaid’s Tale: Why Everyone Needs to Watch it.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Is there an alarming possibility of Gilead becoming a reality? “Handmaid’s Tale” is a 1985 dystopian novel by Margaret Atwood about a fundamentalist regime that treats women like property of the state. In 21st century United States, women have lost their rights to dictate their own bodies–a decision made by men in high power with extreme religious views. What once was the plot of a novel-turned-series is now a terrifying reality.

The Gilead society has a class system for women, with Aunts at the top, going down the line to Wives, Handmaids, and finally, Marthas. At the very top, controlling them all, are the Commanders, the highest position and titled to men only. In this horrifying dystopia, the fertility rate is disastrous, one of the main points of Gilead’s creation. Women still fertile and trapped in the once United States were turned into Handmaids or, as I also call them, breeding cattle. The story revolves around the handmaid Offred, whose real name is June, who suffers under the wrath of her rapists, the Wattersons, which breaks her to the point of rebellion. 

Though there was a 1990 movie production directed by Volker Schlöndorff, the 2017 Hulu series is what brought the futuristic dystopia back to life. If you’re more of a lover of books, I highly recommend reading the book first, but if you prefer it on the screen, then the show will not disappoint you. Ever since season one aired in 2017, I’ve been disappointed that not many of my friends and family watch the show. As a woman, I’m writing this to explain why it’s important to know this story because, frankly, with the current narrative in the U.S, it’s terrifying to see the comparisons between real life and this dystopian story. 

compare to the present state of the u.s. government

The most important real-life issue you learn about is the loss of all women’s rights and how they become property to the Gilead government. The U.S. Supreme Court, which is a majority male, recently decided to overturn Roe v. Wade. With the decision of abortions now in states’ hands, many women across the U.S. will lose access to this healthcare. Situations may arise where women who have had a miscarriage and need a lifesaving abortion-like procedure might not get one. Even young girls who have been sexually harassed and fall pregnant might not be allowed to abort, no matter their age. In the show, Handmaids would be heavily punished or even executed if a pregnancy failed. 

Without giving spoilers, we find out what life was like right before Gilead was created. An insurrection occurred that led to women needing permission from their husbands to obtain birth control, same-sex marriages were not legal anymore, mothers were heavily judged if they had a career, and women lost their right to hold a job. With the overturn of Roe v. Wade, an almost 50-year precedent, the door has been opened to review other landmark cases that put all those rights at risk.

An emergency plan to leave the United States would not be unheard of. You may be eligible for dual citizenship in another nation. I know it seems like I am going over the top with making an emergency plan, but I’m glad to have my dual citizenship. In the Handmaid’s Tale, there are flashback scenes where massive groups of people rush to the airport to escape to Canada. Some women weren’t able to cross the border since they didn’t have citizenship. Yes, I am aware this is a fictional society, but there is no harm in safety. 

it’s an addicting show

Now that you have gotten a glimpse of the important issues the show covers, let’s talk about the amazing production quality. I swear, if this show was a drug, I would be addicted to it. Despite the show’s intensity, you only want to continue hitting the ‘next episode’ button on Hulu. Now let me backtrack for a quick minute. I know not everyone has Hulu, but that is no excuse not to watch the show. Handmaid’s Tale is offered on many platforms such as Youtube, Google Play, Apple TV, Amazon Prime Video, and Vudu. Of course, these are all the official ways to watch it, but with how vast the internet is, there are ways to find it for free online. Despite each episode being about an hour long, the plot flow and high level of acting make it go by so fast that you want to watch more. Yes, the show focuses on depressing topics, not just the loss of women’s rights but also LGBTQ+ as well. However, Elisabeth Moss (who plays June/Offred) beautifully expresses her character’s physiological and physical torture, which makes the audience feel immersed in the show. I know it can be scary, but if you’re a lover of romance plots, you won’t be disappointed here either. 

a show with never-ending surprising twists

As of September 2022, Handmaid’s Tale is on its fifth season, and every season shocks you. With other shows I watch, I usually have a good idea of how plots will turn out in a show or movie. However, this show always surprises me. You’re probably wondering if I’ll reveal anything from the show, and I promise I won’t. You’ll have to watch it to know why this show is so good and important.    

just watch it.

Though I’m unsure if you’ve become invested in watching the show after this, let me just say this: just give it a try. If you’re not really a TV show person, read the book. And if you’re not a book person, look up what happens in the show. And I’ll say it again: give it a try because this show presents a huge wake-up call to how our rights are being slowly taken away from us in the real world. Perhaps we are closer to this fictional society than we think.

From San Francisco, California, now living in Manhattan, Grace is a Junior at GWU studying Creative Writing and English with a minor in Journalism and Mass Communications. Now as the Senior Editor for GWU Her Campus, Grace dreams of working in the publishing industry and publishing a novel. In her free time, Grace can be found writing her book, working on The GW Hatchet Newspaper, helping out her Kappa Delta sorority sisters, or working at her Fall Editorial Internship.