GWU Bucket List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Hey YOLOnials, maximize your four years at GW by trying out some of these memory-making ideas when you’re sick of locking yourself away in GelHell.

1. Wade in the fountain in Kogan. It’s the most beautiful spot on campus at night when the whole plaza is illuminated. However, I don’t know if this is legal so don’t get caught!

2. Take part in a protest. You’re in D.C. after all, so make it count by making an impact!

3. Get a burger crunchified at Bobby’s Burger Palace (21st & K St.). At BBP you can “crunchify” any of their already delicious burgers by adding a layer of potato chips in between the sesame-seed buns at no extra cost. Best of all, they accept GWorld.

4. Study for an exam at the Library of Congress. Applying for a Library of Congress card is easy and can be done on the spot. It gives you access to the beautiful Main Reading Room, which is surrounded by statues representing scholarly ideas like art, philosophy, science, and law – you’re almost guaranteed an A on your exam.

5. Strike a pose with the craziest costume at the annual High Heel Drag Queen Race. This Halloween tradition brings crowds of spectators and drag queens in over-the-top outfits to Dupont for a race that seems more like a fashion show. Mark your calendars because this year’s event is taking place on October 30th.

6. Get your picture taken with George and Martha at the real Mount Vernon. Renting a Zipcar is the easiest way to get to the Washington’s Virginia home. Also, don’t forget to take advantage of all GW’s Mount Vernon campus has to offer!

7. Explore the Sunday Flea Market at Eastern Market. Voted the 2nd best market in the world in a Huffington Post poll, Eastern Market lives up to its reputation. You’ll find everything from fresh produce and gourmet snacks to unique artwork and vintage treasures. Best of all, getting there is really simple – take the blue or orange line to the Eastern Market stop and you’re there!

8. Take a day trip to Old Town Alexandria. This charming town on the Potomac is filled with unique shops, restaurants, and galleries that are perfect for exploring. Take the blue or yellow line to the King Street stop and take the free trolley downtown.

9. Watch the sunrise from the Lincoln Memorial. Bring your camera for this breathtaking experience. Google “sunrise Lincoln Memorial” to find out exactly when you’ll need to wake up.

10. Indulge in the “Obama” at Crepeaway for a super late-night study break. Known for their savory and sweet crepes, Crepeaway is a GW establishment. The Obama combines warm Nutella with strawberries, blueberries, and bananas – delicious! Located at 20th & L St., this fun hangout stays open until 4 a.m. in Friday and Saturday and takes GWorld.