Gossip Girl Day: A National Holiday (XOXO!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Gossip Girl, here. Your one and only source into the scandalous lives of Manhattan’s elite. It’s that time of the year again – the most glorious day we like to call “Gossip Girl Day”! That’s right – on January 26, 2012, Mayor Bloomberg proclaimed a national holiday in celebration of the most wonderful drama’s 100 episodes, sealed with an XOXO’d tweet. (That’s real GG love!)

(photo from huffingtonpost.com)

It’s true – we can all admit it. We aspire to dress like a Van der Woodsen, look like an Archibald, act like a Waldorf, think like a Bass, and work like a Humphrey. Gossip Girl may have given us unrealistic expectations of love and extravagance, yet at the end of the day, we all fall asleep dreaming our lives were just as they are told on the UES (Upper East Side).

(photo from fanpop.com)

(giphy.com)

We’ve learned to keep our friends close and our enemies closer – thanks B. We know that even when it seems like our lives are falling apart, we can always piece it back together – we love you S. Serena and Blair, you are most definitely friendship goals. We now have an exceedingly extravagant expectation of a fairytale consisting of three words and eight letters – be mine Chuck. Dan, you showed us that any outsider could be a true insider – xoxo, lonely boy. And last but most definitely not least, Nate, thanks for being a pretty face to look at. 

(photo from popsugar.com)

(photo from fanpop.com) 

(giphy.com)

So, in celebration of a day I look forward to each year, share the love on social media and tweet your favorite pictures of our favorite Upper East Siders. And most importantly, use this day as an opportunity to watch the show for hours on end. Essentially, no excuses needed – it’s a national holiday. Whether you love Chuck and Blair, Serena and Dan, Nate, or Jenny, celebrate today. Happy Gossip Girl Day, XOXO. 

(photo from nbcnewyork.com)

(giphy.com)