Life > Experiences

Five DC Fall Activities that put me into the Fall Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

If you’re like me, you want to get into the fall spirit but don’t want to spend a ton of money on decorating your room or drive an hour out of town to see a pumpkin patch. As a new resident of this city, I’ve been exploring my neighborhood. After a few not-so-successful outings I confidently share the five best activities I’ve done to get into my fall feels. These activities are accessible to anyone and inexpensive enough to adhere to a college student’s budget. 

1. spend an afternoon in old town Alexandria

Old Town Alexandria offers that small-town charm for a cozy afternoon. Home to many cobblestone roads, the streets easily put you into the fall spirit: historic neighborhoods with lanterns and leaves falling all around. You’ll even find a beautiful walkway right on the Potomac river. Whether it be before or after strolling through the neighborhood, you can enjoy great food and drinks on the main street, sit outside to breathe in the crisp air, or inside near a cozy, wood-burning fireplace. Need to update your closet or buy a gift? Local boutiques line the streets that offer well-made and one-of-a-kind clothing pieces. I recently got an oversized sweater that I plan on making a staple in my fall wardrobe. 

2. check out a farmer’s market

One of the first things I did when arriving in the city was go to the Dupont Farmer’s Market. Only a 15-minute walk or a metro trip to Dupont Circle, it offers lots of local vendors selling everything from candles to freshly made empanadas. When I went my second time this past weekend, it was full of fall festive items. Many pumpkin spice treats left me feeling full and ready to take a nap. Definitely an easy way to spend a Sunday afternoon.

3. go cider tasting

Anxo Cidery & Tasting Room is a family favorite for a brisk fall weekend. Just a 15-minute uber outside of the city, you can enjoy the great views that Brightwood Park offers and try one of their 24 ciders on draft. Can’t drink yet? No worries! Join your 21+ friends and treat yourself to a non-alcoholic cider. Along with a great range of draft ciders, Anxo also offers Spanish-style pizzas (highly recommend) and a wide range of snack boards to complement any drink. 

4. observe the fall foliage

As much as I love the city, it’s nice to get a break from all the hustle. As a pacific north-western, I’ve been missing my trees. Recently, I was able to make it to Rapids at Great Falls Park in Virginia which is home to the most breathtaking fall foliage. A little further outside of the city, the park offers a quiet place to sit, grab a coffee with friends, and enjoy each other’s company. With the option of building a wood fire, it’s a great place to unwind and listen to the water.

5. embassy events

If you’re looking for a reason to get dressed up for an evening, I highly recommend going to an Embassy event. It can be more on the pricy side but it is well worth it. You get to spend the evening chatting with high government officials and overall interesting people who have lots of stories to tell. Also, if you are looking for internships or job opportunities it’s a great place to network. Open to anyone in DC, you are able to enjoy authentic food and most likely an open bar. It is truly an #OnlyinDC experience to learn more about the culture and history of other nations while having fun. 

Claire is a current sophomore at GWU who plans on majoring in Economics and English. Claire is from the San Juan Islands in Washington State so she loves all things outdoors and in her free time you can find her playing with her dogs or trying new recipes. After college, her goal is to work with a pro sports team in some sort of capacity.