Finals Exist in the Middle East too…

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Believe it or not, AMIDEAST pretty much puts the “study” in study abroad. While I am still so in love with this program, it has been slightly more intensive than I originally expected. Even though most finals are take-home exams, they are so comprehensive and long. I’m not even bothering to think about my future Arabic exams in two weeks. At least this weekend, we get another break from Sunday class as it is Jordanian Labor Day. Several friends and I will be popping over to Jerusalem for a much, MUCH needed study break. I thought this week I’d share a little finals snack break recipe with you. Most of us at GW have kitchens, and I know such a great, productive finals stress-reliever for me is to cook. Here is a recipe for homemade hummus taught to us by our Academic Coordinator during our first Jordanian food cooking class.
Take a break, stop by TJ’s for ingredients and some pita bread, and enjoy!
Ingredients:
¼ kilo of raw chickpeas
2-4 heaping spoonfuls of Tahina, sesame seed paste
Juice from ½ of a lemon
2-3 large spoonfuls of plain yogurt
Salt
1-2 cloves of fresh garlic
Olive Oil
Optional: Roasted Red Peppers, Veggies, etc.
Preparation:
1. Overnight, soak chickpeas in lukewarm water.
2. Fill large pot with soaked chickpeas and add water until ~1 inch above the level of chickpeas. Boil for an hour, uncovered.
3. Taste chickpeas to see if soft. Put in blender or food processor and add several spoonfuls of Tahina. Blend until chickpeas are broken up.
4. Add lemon juice, garlic cloves, and salt. Add optional ingredients for certain type of hummus. Blend.
5. Add water and yogurt until it’s the consistency desired.
6. Serve in a bowl with olive oil drizzled on top.

Lauren Kardos is a senior at The George Washington University double majoring in International Affairs and Middle East Studies. She spent 8 months studying abroad in the Middle East perfecting her Arabic and adventuring around. She loves reading, discovering new music, and exploring new locales.