A Few Reasons to Look Forward to Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Even though Punxsutawney Phil predicted an early spring for 2013, gloomy forecasts and freezing winds can make the new season seem further away than ever. While waiting out winter can be a drag, here are a couple of things to look forward to when springtime arrives:

Spring DC events

Spring in Washington, DC brings with it an entirely new set of activities and fun things to do! Perhaps the most well known event is the National Cherry Blossom Festival, taking place this year from March 20th to April 14th.  Bask in the warming temperatures and enjoy over 200 cultural performances! Over the two-week festival, there is certainly no shortage of activities to partake in.

Also taking place in the springtime is Passport DC, which allows visitors to travel around the world—without leaving Washington DC! During Passport DC, embassies from the far reaches of the world open their doors to visitors and showcase their various cultures. Passport DC takes place in early May 2013.

Spring Fashion

As the temperatures get warmer, it’s time to start saying farewell to our parkas and matching hat and glove sets. The new season brings new trends with it—Ali Stagnitta, a GW freshman and blogger for College Fashionista, shares some trends to look forward to this upcoming spring:

Floral

Unsurprisingly, this nature-y trend is totally in this spring—especially in nontraditional forms (think shorts, floral-printed shoes, and blazers.)

Mint Green and Plum

According to Stagnitta, these cool colors and popular for the upcoming season, especially in the form of skinny jeans, jackets, and accessories. To combine trends, look for floral overlay on colored jeans!

Casual pieces

Graphic tees and tanks are casual but super versatile—tucked into shorts, for instance, “adds trendiness.” Also in? Hats, especially baseball hats, which can perk up an otherwise basic outfit.

Layers

Layers are the key for transitioning from winter to spring, as the layers get thinner to keep up with rising temperatures. A tank with a cardigan and scarf, for instance, covers up while still looking cool.  And combat boots from winter get a fresh spring update when paired with shorts.

Spring Break

While it may feel like we just got back from winter vacation, spring break is less than a month away! If you’re looking to travel over Spring Break, click here for the GW Hatchet’s guide to destinations both near and far. If you’re looking for an organized travel experience, Contiki (a travel company catering exclusively to customers aged 18-35) has trips for any budget, any length of time, and practically any destination!

Even if you’re just heading home for some relaxation time with the family, it’s never too early to start making plans to meet up with old friends and just appreciate the break.

Spring is on its way and there are lots of things to look forward to. While we’re waiting, enjoy your last couple weeks of winter!