Female-Led TV Shows to Watch During Quarantine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

(P.S: they’re all on Netflix!)

Because the rest of our semester has moved online, we’re finding ourselves with more time at home and that means…. Watching more television! 

But that doesn’t necessarily have to be a bad thing. As we self-isolate, we’ve been given a great opportunity to explore some new shows and perhaps even revisit old ones. I’ve put together a few of my favorites that I wanted to recommend to everyone. These shows are witty, captivating, and best of all, are led by strong female characters, which we all know can be hard to come by.

I Am Not Okay with This (2020)

Based on a graphic novel, this coming-of-age show is genuinely unlike the rest. We follow Syd (Sophia Lillis) as she deals with high school, the death of a parent, her sexuality, and… superpowers. I’ll be honest in saying that, as college students, this show will come off as aggressively teenaged. It is angsty, cheesy, and at some times, kind of just cringe. But that’s why I like it. It reminds me of a simpler time (although things may not have seemed all so simple when I was actually in high school). This show’s nostalgia is made complete by an indie soundtrack featuring the likes of The Kinks, Rick Springfield, and Connie Conway, with songs from fictional band Bloodwitch.

Anne with an E (2017-2019)

I’ll admit, I never read Anne of Green Gables when I was younger. But knowledge of the classic isn’t at all necessary in order to love this modern spin. This show, set in 1890’s Canada, ended after three binge-worthy seasons, and its cancellation has since garnered a lot of anger from fans online, and reasonably so. Anne with an E’s star, played by Amybeth McNulty, is much younger than other female leads, but that’s to the show’s advantage. Her childlike innocence gives her a mind so imaginative it’s magnetic, and the direction is done in such a way that you want to share that same feeling, too. Still, Anne appears wiser beyond her days and you’ll learn a great deal from how this fierce, unapologetic child perceives the world.

Dead to Me (2019)

Binging this show was how I spent a good portion of my summer last year, and I’ll do the same when the next season comes out. Dead to Me is unique, hilarious, and gives off major Big Little Lies mom vibes minus the super heavy stuff. It’s a dark comedy that picks up after the hit-and-run death of Jen Harding’s (Christina Applegate) husband. At a support group meeting, she meets free-spirited Judy (Linda Cardenelli) and the two become friends, though not instantly. The show gets crazier and crazier as you watch, as secrets are unraveled and lies are exposed, all while showcasing the reality of grief, loss, and confusion in the midst of chaos and insanity.

Gilmore Girls (2000-2007)

I would be surprised if anyone hasn’t yet seen this obviously ‘old but gold’ show. A dramedy, Gilmore Girls features fast-talking Lorelai Gilmore (Lauren Graham) and her sharp teenage daughter Rory (Alexis Bledel) as they navigate life in their small town in Connecticut. We grow up with Rory, following her from high school to college to adulthood, all made possible by the show’s length. I really can’t think of a more cozy, heartwarming series; the two women’s realistic relationship is its heart and strength. And better yet, Netflix picked it up for Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life (2016) to give longtime fans a look at how our favorite mother and daughter duo were doing all these years later. 

Honorable Mention: The End of the F*cking World (2017-2019)

I want to include an honorable mention for The End of the F*cking World (2017-2019), but its ill-tempered heroine Alyssa (Jessica Barden) shares the spotlight with fellow outsider James (Alex Lawther). Still, and I cannot stress this enough, it is worth the watch. This show shares many similarities with I Am Not Okay With This; both come from graphic novelist Charles Forsman and are created and directed by Jonathan Entwistle. It’s offbeat, heavy, and messy all at once, and your eyes will be glued to the screen.

And that’s my list of Netflix shows to watch that center around badass women. Happy binging!

Zoya Ansari is a junior at The George Washington University studying Journalism and Mass Communications. On campus, Zoya is the Creative Director for GW PSA, an actor/writer on GW-TV, Social Media Coordinator for SMPA, and Assistant PR for Kappa Delta Sorority. In her free time, Zoya loves watching all sorts of movies/tv shows, hanging out with her friends, and pretending to be funny.
Sarah is a junior at The George Washington University School of Business, studying Finance and Sports Management, with a minor in Spanish. She previously worked at the Her Campus Media headquarters in Boston as a Product and Operations intern. She is a dedicated Boston sports fan, loves to travel, and pets every dog she sees.