This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

I’m no skin guru or dermatologist, but I do know a thing or two about skincare. I think we all have had that phase in middle school where we break out all over or wake up to find a pimple smack in the middle of our nose — how lovely. Luckily, I grew out of that phase pretty quickly, and have been particular about my skincare regimen ever since. Keep reading if you want to learn more about how I maintain clear skin, and what I do to prevent breakouts!

Wash and Moisturize Your Face

This may be common sense, but the number one rule to keeping your skin healthy is washing your face every day. You don’t need some fancy, attractive, very well-advertised face wash from Sephora. I use Neutrogena’s Ultra Gentle Hydrating Cleanser and it gets the job done. Let’s not forget to moisturize after you wash your face to keep it from getting dry. A pro tip, which I have learned from my mom, is to avoid harmful chemicals,  including parabens, sulfates, and phthalates, when purchasing face wash or other skincare products. If you do shop at Sephora, be sure to check out their “Clean at Sephora” section which shows you all their products that don’t contain harmful ingredients.

Wear Sunscreen

I can’t stress this enough — wear sunscreen!!! Sunscreen prevents your skin from the sun’s harmful UV rays and prevents wrinkles. Unless I’m super lazy, I don’t think there is ever a day where I don’t put on sunscreen. Even in the winter, the sun is there; trust me. I know you don’t want to put some thick white cream on, which makes you look like a ghost, but, its 2020 people, and there are so many sunscreens out there that are literally invisible when you put them on. There are two sunscreens that I absolutely can’t live without, and you would never know I’m wearing them. The first is the Supergoop Daily Moisturizer with SPF 40; this is a moisturizer and sunscreen in one, which I am obsessed with. It is super lightweight and blends right into my skin. The second, EltaMD UV Daily Tinted Broad-Spectrum SPF 40, is the one I use when I’m looking to add a little tint and glow to my face. Whichever you choose, you really can’t go wrong with sunscreen!

Don’t Touch Your Face

After a long day at school or work, you’ve touched your phone, doorknobs, god knows what else, and then your face! Do you know how gross your hands are, and how many people and things have touched the same things you’ve touched only to put all of that on your face? I know it’s impossible to not touch your face (I probably rub my eyes 100 times a day), but if you can, try not to, and wash your hands! It’s also may be a good idea to have Purell or hand sanitizer by you.

Chill with the Makeup

I’m not telling you not to wear makeup. I’m simply trying to tell you to let your face breathe. Wearing a thick layer of makeup everyday clogs your pores, and can eventually lead to blackheads and pimples. Not wearing makeup to school has left my face feeling lighter, cleaner, and I don’t have to worry about getting it all over my shirt. Another tip is that less is more; since I stopped wearing foundation in high school, I noticed that I get fewer breaks out and my skin looks healthier. If you don’t need to, take a day off, and don’t put on makeup. I promise you, you will still look beautiful :)

Sleep!

The last thing I recommend to do in order to maintain healthy skin is to sleep. I know you hear this all the time, but sleep is important. I’m not going to lie, I don’t have the best under eyes, and I usually wake up with bags because I don’t get enough sleep. The days where I do sleep for 8 or more hours, I see a noticeable difference in my appearance, and I can actually function throughout the day. If you want to avoid under-eye bags, and dark circles get some sleep, oh, and under-eye cream also works. I use Ole Henriksen’s Banana Bright Eye Creme and it instantly brightens my eyes.

Michela Manocherian is a junior at The George Washington University majoring in Political Science and minoring in Journalism and Mass Communication. In her free time, she enjoys baking, boxing, and spending time with friends.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.