Hero Copy
Hero Copy
Megan Charles / Her Campus Media

Easiest Ways to Save GWorld (Even If You Don’t Have a Kitchen)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Living on twenty dollars a day or less in a city like DC might seem impossible, and it absolutely can be. Speaking as a Thurston resident myself, the lack of kitchen, sanitary conditions or open surfaces can make it impossible to prepare meals. So, next time you find yourself in Juan Valdez Cafe choosing between a $5.00 cold brew or dinner, you know it’s time to start looking into other options. Here are a few of them!

Overnight Oats

Make them the night before and enjoy them the morning of, this cheap and filling alternative allows for variation and tons of nutrition without breaking your GET app. Fill it up in a mason jar to bring to class or make them in a bowl and eat before you rush out the door to feel ready to take on the day!

Ingredients: 

Oats bought in bulk from Costco

Almond milk (Wholefoods Brand: $1.99)

frozen berries (cheaper than fresh ones and they unthaw overnight!) 

Customize! → Cacao powder for a chocolatey twist and Chia seeds for extra nutrition

Personal Preference: Oats, Almondmilk, Peanut butter, and frozen raspberries

Make Your Own Cold Brew

This is easily one of the most valuable things my roommate and I decided to do, it saves tons of money and time every morning all while being delicious and effective. While the specific brand we use can’t be bought on GWorld, buy in bulk and save it throughout the year to ensure you get to class alive, awake, alert, and enthusiastic. Each pitcher should last you about a week, depending on your level of coffee addiction.

Ingredients:

Trader Joe’s Cold Brew Bags (5.99 for a pack of four)

One (1) unused Brita or any other large pitcher

Customize! → Creamer/milk of choice, sweetener of choice

Personal Preference: Cold brew, Almond milk, and maple syrup (it’s so good, trust me)

Pasta Alla Thurston

I’m about to clue you into an invention so incredibly life- and GWorld- saving that you’ll reminisce on how this could have rescued you from the pain of ever leaving your dorm to get dinner in your freshman days. This singular appliance is both allowed by housing and so incredibly convenient I can’t imagine my life without it. The Dash Electric Cooker Hot Pot, priced at $17 on Amazon, allows you to make pasta in! your! room!! Use it with ramen packets, soups, noodles, tea, or veggies and make your experience warmer, healthier, and cheaper.

Ingredients:

Pasta ($1.29 for a pound)

Tomato sauce ($.79 for a can)

Customize! → Throw in veggies, cheese, or sample different sauces to find your favorite combo

Snack Smart

My final tip is fairly general but important to keep in mind while begrudgingly hauling yourself to whole foods on a Sunday afternoon. When standing in the towering whole food aisles deciding between acai bars and dark chocolate covered goji berries, my advice to you is to resist the temptation for high-price, low-yield snacks. Instead look for things on sale, unpopped popcorn packets, chocolate chips, carrots and chips with salsa. These filling snacks can be healthy (or not) but they’ll last you a while and be there for you when you need them. So snack as much as you like, but be sure to snack smart!

Natalia is a Freshman at the George Washington University Elliott School of International Affairs and a Journalism minor. She loves hiking, traveling, and going to the beach and is passionate about women's rights and social justice. She is also addicted to coffee and plans on finding the best shop in every major city.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.