Style > Beauty

Drugstore and High-End Dewy Makeup Routine for Oily Skin!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

If you are someone that has oily skin, you may think it is almost impossible to achieve a dewy makeup look without looking greasy. Models and celebrities everywhere have been bombarding social media as they show off their flawless dewy (glow from within) makeup looks. You may be thinking that these models must not produce any oils or just have perfect skin. However, in reality these models and celebrities do actually have skin types very similar to everyone else. How do they do it then? The answer lies directly behind their skin and makeup routines.

1. Gel Moisturizer: Tacha The Water Cream or Garnier Moisture Bomb

• The first step is probably the most important step in order to achieve a dewy makeup look. It is SO important that someone with oily skin uses a gel-based moisturizer instead of a cream-based moisturizer. A gel-base moisturizer will offer your oily skin the perfect oil-free hydration and will prep your skin perfectly for this makeup look.

Tacha Water Cream $68.00

Garnier Moisture Bomb $16.99

2. Mattifying Primer

• After putting on moisturizer, apply a mattifying primer only to the places on your face where you are most oily. Do NOT apply the mattifying primer all over your face.

The POREfessional Face Primer by Benefit Cosmetics $32.00

NYX Shine Killer Primer $13.99

3. Strobe Radiance Cream

• After applying the mattifying primer, you should spread a strobe cream all over your face. The combination of the mattifying primer and the strobe cream will give you the most ideal dewy but matte foundation to lay your makeup on.  

Burberry Fresh Glow Fluid Base $48.00

Maybelline Master Strobing Liquid $5.89

3. Matte Foundation

• Once the strobe cream is applied, you should apply a matte foundation. You may be tempted to put on a foundation with a radiant consistency, but this will only make your skin appear very oily. Applying a matte foundation is KEY to keeping your oils from peaking through.

Dior Forever Undercover Foundation $52.00

Maybelline Fit Me! Foundation $7.99

4.  Apply Foundation with a DAMP Beauty Blender

• Many people skip this step and for me, it is one of the most important steps. Applying your foundation with a DAMP Beauty Blender will allow for an easier foundation application. The DAMP Beauty Blender will add some moisture to your foundation and it will make the foundation look much more skin-like.

• Beauty Blender $20.00

Real Techniques Sponge  $4.99

5. Powder

• Once the foundation is applied correctly, you must set your face with powder. If you are going for a dewy look, you should try using a powder that is not too matifying. You should apply the powder ONLY over the oily areas of your face. Try not to apply it all over your face.

Charlotte Tilbury Air Brush Flawless Micro-Powder

Coty Airspun Loose Face Powder $5.97

6. Setting Spray

• BEFORE applying highlighter, I think it is best to spray your entire face with a setting spray. The setting spray will keep your makeup locked in place and it will lie down the perfect base to place your highlight on top of. Once you put on the highlight after the setting spray, your highlight will appear much brighter, more natural, and less powdery.

Morphe Continuous Setting Mist $15.00

Mac Prep + Prime Fix + $26.00

6. Highlighter

• Now it is finally time for GLOW! For someone who is looking for that “glow from within” look. I would recommend a liquid highlighter that you can place on the high points of your cheeks, tip of your nose, and below your eyebrows.

Marc Jacobs Dew Drops $44.00

L’oreal True Match Lumi Glow $14.99

Gabrielle Puig is a sophomore at George Washington University studying Communications with a minor in Innovation, Creativity, and Entrepreneurship. She is very active on campus and has a passion for writing, travel, and anything fashion and beauty!
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.