Style

Dov Jewelry: Luxury at the Palm of Your Hand

The Her Campus National Editors write about products we love and think you’ll love too. Her Campus has affiliate partnerships, so we get a share of the revenue from your purchase. All products are in stock and all prices are accurate as of publication.

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Meet the DC-based small business bringing affordable luxury jewelry in an eco-friendly way.

Let’s face it: the majority of us probably can’t dish out on Chanel or LV on a college budget. Lucky for us jewelry lovers, Dov Jewelry exists. What began as small holes punctured into the back of Chanel buttons has turned into a thriving business which sells online, as well as attending the Georgetown Flea Market and Eastern Market regularly.

The idea of upcycling used luxury buttons first came to Sofia, co-owner of the business. As a design student in Milan, she saw repurposed clothes and buttons in the city’s vintage market. She flew back to the United States with a small pair of black Chanel buttons ready to make into earrings. Little did she know that the world would shut down soon and she would have all the time in the world to work her art. During the pandemic, she managed to convince her sister Maria to co-found a jewelry business with her.

“We’re very passionate about sustainability and fashion, so making our own repurposed jewelry was a dream for us”

Sofia and Maria Tapias, Founders of Dov Jewelry

The pieces, which you can view on their Instagram, are so beautiful it’s hard to believe that purchasing them can move you in the direction of greener style choices. Without going too much into the economics of it, by buying essentially recycled pieces, you help the world by reducing the demand for new jewelry and help eliminate waste.

All from their basement, Maria and Sofia also maintain an active social media presence, where they share elegant reels of their new collection, tiktoks where they style celebrities (Harry Styles inspired necklace anyone?!), and the process of making their staple pieces.

The sisters, of Colombian origin, are an inspiration to every girl out there who wishes to start their own business. As the business turns one year old and they expand to other repurposed items, like candles, the co-founders start to see all of their effort reap its rewards as more and more people purchase and recommend their items.

So, if you are looking to treat yourself to some beautiful jewelry, or give this as a holiday gift, don’t hesitate to support this small woman-owned business. I for one, can’t wait to snatch myself one of their Dior necklaces.

Hello all! I am a junior at George Washington University majoring in international affairs and economics. Join me on the journey of discovering life as a 20 something year old living in DC.