Career

Demystifying the Law School Admissions Process

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Applying to law school can be a daunting task, but keeping track of the steps you need to take can make the process (slightly) less stressful. I’ve accumulated information from the Law School Admission Council and The Princeton Review websites to break down the process. The recommended timeframe for applying is around one year, and the process can be broken down into five (EXTREMELY simplified) parts:

Step 1: LSAC Account

Creating your LSAC (Law School Admission Council) account is the first step in the law school admissions process. Using this account enables you to keep track of all of your future law school applications. Also, with the creation of your account, you get an account number that you can use as an ID number for LSAC services and programs. 

Step 2: The LSAT

The LSAT. Just when you thought standardized testing was a thing of the past, it turns out that it continues into adult life, and actually gets more difficult. Getting a good LSAT score is the key element of getting into your dream law school, so preparing for it is essential to the admissions process. Taking a diagnostic test and taking an LSAT prep course are the keys to getting your ideal score. You should begin taking practice exams around January, and once you think you’re ready, take the exam! 

Step 3: CAS

Most law schools require applicants to register for CAS, which is the Credential Assembly Service. This service will put together your transcript, LSAT scores, and letters of recommendation to provide to law schools upon request. Ideally, you should register around July, so that you can ask your professors for recommendations and ask your college to send your transcript to CAS in September. 

Step 4: Finding your perfect school!

Now that you have your grades and scores, you can find out which law schools you fit into. You should have a good mix of law schools, similar to how you created a mix of reaches, targets, and safeties while applying to undergrad colleges.

Step 5: Applications and Personal Statements

Now comes the fun part. After creating a list of your potential schools, you need to write your personal statement and submit your applications. By December, you should have completed the application and can await your decisions. 

To all those applying, good luck!

Jamie is a freshman at The George Washington University studying Political Science.