Bridgerton and Courtship in the 21st Century

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Don’t hit me up past midnight. Make me the Viscountess of your estate.

If you are anything like me, you have been obsessing over Kanthony, the stunning lead couple in season 2 of the period drama Bridgerton. The costumes, the music, the beautiful English landscapes, and the funny yet clever characters that make this show a must-watch for fans of period pieces worldwide. However, what really caught people’s attention in the first season of the show is the *ahem*…chemistry between Daphne and Simon – the Duke of Hastings. When season 2 of the show came around, viewers were expecting the same raunchy and steamy sex scenes that made the first one a boom. Yet, what we got was so.much.more.

The Pride and Prejudice like trope of enemies to lovers between Kate Sharma and Anthony Bridgerton captured the hearts of all hopeless romantics out there, and I consider myself to be among the most emotionally affected by this couple. The looks shared between Kate and Anthony, the sexual tension, the sweet nothings…I don’t think that I was ready to see it all.

As much as I could talk about how amazing, show-stopping, beautiful, and talented Jonathan Bailey and Simone Ashley are, I want to point out my biggest take out from the show. I like to be courted. I don’t like it. I love it. I do not enjoy being hit up at 12am with a “wyd”. I do not find it attractive and it does not make me feel special (!). One of the most exciting parts of a relationship is the courtship process, the chase, if you will. Showing the other person that you are interested and are willing to go the extra mile to make them feel special and desired is the key element for not just any romantic attachment but for every relationship you have in your life.

So, let’s go the extra mile for people. Buy them flowers. Send them a song. Make them laugh. Take them out. I do not expect you to show up in a carriage and make me your Viscountess (but if you do offer me the title, I’d gladly take it). Show the people that you like that you actually like them instead of making them feel replaceable. Everybody deserves to feel special. Everybody deserves to be the bane of someone’s existence, and the object of all their desires.

Hello all! I am a junior at George Washington University majoring in international affairs and economics. Join me on the journey of discovering life as a 20 something year old living in DC.