This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

“Your love for yourself is a revolution”

Black girl magic is a celebration of ourselves in a world where the features we have and the culture we create is often stripped of it’s original meaning and given a new name. The media often hypersexualizes features that are commonly associated with black women but celebrates them on white bodies, leaving little room for a space where we can be uplifted and celebrated and praised as our authentic selves. Black girl magic is acknowledging the beauty of black girls in all of ours forms and celebrating that we are multifaceted beings.

The term Black Girl Magic began as a hashtag in 2013 by CaShawn Thompson, she began the hashtag to celebrate the positive achievements of black woman, which often go unrecognized by the media. The term spread quickly throughout social media and is often seen on Twitter, Instagram, and Tumblr, showcasing the achievements, small or large, of black women.  To me, Black Girl Magic creates a space for us to celebrate our individuality. I see black girl magic everywhere, but most importantly when black women are able to praise and uplift other black women for being their authentic selves.