Style > Beauty

Best Skincare Products for When Your Skin is D~R~Y

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

I have put off accepting that the weather is changing for a couple of weeks now, however when I woke with my lips dry and parched, I finally decided that maybe I should swap my t-shirts for sweaters. With the colder months now upon us, dry skin is inevitable, and I often find myself battling to find the best products to keep my skin from looking like the Sahara in the middle of summer. After years of cracked skin, I think I have finally cracked my perfect dry skin routine and am now sharing it with you to hopefully help you defeat winter-skin once and for all. 

1. Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment Advanced Therapy 

Price: $26.00

Cruelty-free

My first clue that winter is coming are my lips. My lips become so dry it is actually painful. This lip balm goes beyond the chap-stick you bought as a kid. It contains sugar (duh) which helps prevent moisture loss, sea fennel which helps smooth wrinkles on the lips, and orange extract which helps protect the lips. This product is great, because unlike lots of thick lip moisturizers, this balm comes in a tube which means no sticky fingers from having to dig around in a jar! This may seem excessive, but I use this balm mostly as a day treatment for my lips, using an even thicker balm at night. 

1. Origins Overnight Hydrating Mask With Avocado & Glacier Water

Price: $26.00

Cruelty-free

This is not your average mask! First off, you don’t wash it off, you let it sink into your skin overnight. Second, unlike many masks, it does not leave your skin, tight and dry, but rather nourishes your skin. The mask is infused with Glacier water, Hyaluronic Acid, and avocado butter which leaves your skin super soft and plump. I’ve been using this mask for years and can’t go a winter without it! 

1. Kiehl’s Ultra Facial Cream

Price: $30.00

In the winter, this moisturizer replaces my lighter-weight daytime moisturizers, as it soaks into the skin quickly, allowing makeup to sit beautifully on top of it. This product contains Glacial Glycoprotein which helps protect skin from harsh, cold climates. Additionally, it contains squalene, an oil derived from olives which helps protect the skin’s barrier. I have very sensitive skin, and while this product is thicker, I have never found it to irritate my skin or leave my pores clogged. It is an amazing moisturizer to keep skin plump during the day.

1. Neutrogena Hydro Boost- Hydrogel Mask 

Price: $2.59

I love this mask for when my skin is in need of a quick fix. This mask is not your average sheet mask, as it is made of Hydrogel, which just holds more skin-quenching serum than your average paper sheet mask. This mask is perfect for when your skin is super dry but is also great if you’re getting for an event as it instantly plumps and brightens the skin. 

1. The Body Shop Spa of the World Japanese Camellia Cream

Price: $36.00

Cruelty-free

This body cream has transformed my winter-routine. The texture of it at first slightly odd, as it is almost mousse-like, however, I have found that this texture allows the cream to melt in the skin (which is good for a person like me with no patience to spend rubbing lotion in). This cream leaves my skin feeling ultra-soft and also smells good which is a plus. 

1. Alii Kula Lavender Lychee Sugar Body Polish

Price: $15.00

Now this product has a special place in my heart, because this place has a special place in my heart. This scrub comes from the most beautiful, local lavender farm in Maui (if you’re ever in Maui I demand you visit this lavender farm). While you have to order this product online, I can promise it is totally worth it. Unlike many scrubs, which are abrasive, and often leave my skin more irritated than when I began, this scrub is gentle and foams like a soap, leaving my skin soft and supple. This scrub contains fresh lavender from the fields and leaves your bathroom smelling like a spa. Treat yourself to happy skin, while supporting a home-grown business! 

1. Aquaphor 

Price: $4.59

Aquaphor might feel like a blast from the past, but it truly is a cure-all. I use it on my lips at night to provide deep moisture to my cracked lips. I also use it on my elbows and ankles to keep them hydrated. Additionally, in the winter, I’ll apply a very small amount around my eyes as a make-shift eye cream which will keep the thin-skin around my eyes moisturized and soft. I honestly think Aquaphor might even cure your relationship problems if you try hard enough. 

Happy Moisturizing!! 

Leah is a sophomore majoring in Psychology. She spends her time at work-out classes, finding amazing food, and volunteering at the Kitten Lounge.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.