This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Going out to dinner is a large part of the social culture at GW stemming from the endless amounts of restaurants at our disposal.  “Birthday Dinners” are a perfect excuse to get everyone together, dressed up, and in a fantastic mood any night of the week. In DC, we are spoiled with amazing restaurants but here are 5 you should believe the hype about when it comes to serving large parties:

1. Barcelona Wine Bar: You’re thinking, “okay, classic.”  But seriously, it is a staple place for reason.  To begin, the atmosphere is unmatchable with throwback Rihanna songs playing in the background to the dim dark lighting exposing the wooden walls.  Next, the food is great for serving large parties because it is served tapas style. The patatas bravas, hanger steak, and brussel sprouts are a must and will having your ordering more and more of them.  Finally, the wait staff at Barcelona knows how to work a large party and they have fun with it. When they know that someone is celebrating a birthday, the waiter or waitress will bring a pitcher of limoncello to the table and pour it into everyone’s mouth (only if they are of age).  Added bonus: splitting the bill here is usually pretty easy to do.

2. Zaytinya: This small plates restaurant with an authentic mediterranean flare is perfect for parties that want a more “mature” environment.  The atmosphere is still very fun do not get me wrong with the white and blue decor and the exposed kitchen and bar. The food here is unbelievable and the unlimited supply of FRESH pita bread is literally mouth-watering.  The menu is large which makes it great for a group because everyone from vegan to GF can be happy :)

3. RPM: Make your reservation EARLY!  If you want to come here with a large party plan ahead because it is totally worth it.  The chic decor and dark lighting makes you instantly feel like you are at an upscale hotel.  The menu is endless with the best appetizers (fried zucchini & the wedge caesar salad are personal favorites), amazing pasta dishes and exquisite desserts.  If you’re celebrating a birthday or if you’re not you have to order the “Torta Meringata” which is gelato topped with mascarpone that is flamed tableside to give it a charred taste.  Bonus: it is the perfect photo opportunity.

4. Boqueria: To me, this restaurant is very underrated.  First off, it is so close to campus it is easily walkable which is great for large parties because no need to coordinate ubers!  Second, the food is delicious and has a different flare than its competitor Barcelona, even though they both are spanish style tapas.  The atmosphere is young, and happy hour is always packed because they have great deals on their delicious drinks & cheese and meat plates.  When you tell them it is your birthday they give you dulce de leche stuffed CHURROS which are absolutely to die for.

5. Cava Mezze: If you are looking for a birthday brunch, Cava Mezze is the spot.  The best way to do brunch is with bottomless food for $35 per person.  This mediterranean style brunch has everything you need from fresh greek yogurt to Nutella french toast.  If you go during the spring or summer, ask to be seated upstairs on the rooftop! If you are of age and are looking for mimosas to complement your brunch you’re in luck because they are only .25 cents!

“Birthday dinners” are the best, but only if you go to a restaurant where accommodating to a large party is a thing.  The restaurants listed above are a must for any GW student to try out.

Francesca is a junior at The George Washington University studying marketing and economics. She grew up in the Boston area as a massive Red Sox and Patriots fan. You can find her trying out new restaurants in the DC area or getting her sweat on at Soulcycle & Corepower.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.