Avra Bossov ’15

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Name: Avra Bossov

Major: Political Communications

Year: Junior

Hometown: Cherry Hill, NJ

Campus Involvement: Student Association, House Staff, APO, GW Alt Breaks

You are the only female candidate running for office in the Student Association this year. Why run at all?

I’ve been in the SA the past two years – last year as assistant VP of Public Affairs and this year as Deputy Chief of Staff. I’ve really been able to see behind the scenes of how much the SA can do and how much it can really help students. I’m really looking forward to the opportunity of continuing that work and making sure that we celebrate the good things that happen and work to improve the things that need improvement.

What are your hopes for the future of the SA?

I think as an organization, having the SA be more relateable to students and being there to help the students is important. We are elected by the students. Deeds not words. Yes, we are student representatives so how do we be student representatives?

What do you think you can do to further that if elected?

Part of my platform is gathering student input. I want to have senate meetings become a public platform for where we invite administrators and encourage students outside of the SA to attend so that there can be more face-to-face conversations. We can build relationships and have a dialogue where the SA is the bridge between the two.

What would you say is one of your greatest achievements?

I’m on house staff in Thurston this year (laughs) and besides the house staff selection process being highly selective, I think that once you’re in a position, it’s what you do with it that matters. I’ve been really proud of being able to cultivate the relationships that I have with my residents.

What are your biggest goals both at GW and outside of school?

I think my biggest goals in life would be to make sure that I can wake up every day and enjoy what I’m doing because I know that what I’m doing is making a difference. Sort of like a drop in the bucket to the bigger picture.

And would that be the same for GW?

I was super involved in middle school and high school and I got to GW and freshman year was really rough. It’s a really big transition, which I’ve been able to relive this year as a house staff. I think GW is a great place to foster who you are and really encourages you to achieve whatever you want to achieve. So many people are passionate about so many things. I’m really passionate about giving back and I’ve been really fortunate to do that through service. Now I’m looking forward to doing that through service to the University.

Is there anything else about your campaign or the SA that you want everyone to know?

Yes, I am the only woman candidate, but I’m a person. All seven (two for President and four for EVP), we’re all people. I think it’s important for us to remember that we’re just students and we’re just student government but we have the potential to do great things and we are great people as a whole. If we use our collective efforts to really do good then we can make our mark.

Melissa Minton is a junior at the George Washington University from New Jersey. She is majoring in Journalism and Mass Communications in the School of Media and Public Affairs. Along with being the Campus Correspondant for HC GWU, Melissa is the Vice President of a community service sorority, Epsilon Sigma Alpha. She has interned at Elle Magazine and hopes to one day write for a top fashion magazine.