This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Waking up and dressing yourself every morning is an art. Some people may take hours to create the perfect look, others throw it together in an instant, but the way in which people piece together every part is what makes it so special.  To me, it is whatever you choose to make of it. Whether it’s neutrals, neons, crazy prints, or fun accessories, every outfit has its own uniqueness. It’s all up to you and what you feel your absolute best in. Fashion is a form of expression that everyone has the freedom to explore.

When I was younger, fashion was something I didn’t quite understand.  But what makes it so special is that you don’t have to understand it to make it yours. Like most middle schoolers, I had zero regard for the rules of fashion.  I had a stage where my whole outfit had to remain the same color throughout. If blue was the color of the day, then the shoes were blue, the socks were blue, the pants were blue, the shirt was blue, the undershirt was even blue, and maybe I’d even add a blue hairstreak every now and then.  Despite this rather odd approach to my daily outfits, I made it mine and I felt good, and that was all that mattered. 

As evident with my middle school choice of fashion, I’ve always been one for a splash of color, or a pop of pattern.  It makes an outfit unique and your own, and there’s nothing wrong with a little spunk. I’m here to tell you several ways to spice up an outfit with a colorful pop or an intricate pattern.

1. A Bright Blazer

There’s nothing wrong with a little sophistication.  While blazers can often be associated with a business look, it can also be worn in just about every setting you want; whether it’s meeting your friends for lunch, going to school, a meeting, or just walking around town, blazers are perfect for almost anything. It always can add a little something to a somewhat underwhelming outfit or bring out the colors in an already exciting outfit.  Here are some methods of mastering the blazer look.

Blazers can go with just about anything; that’s what makes them such a favored item.  You can coordinate colors, such as with the blue blazer, and bring all of the different shades of blue together. You can add a pop of color to a moderately casual outfit, such as the bright pink blazer. You can adventure into a full-force blazer fit and maintain the same color throughout, such as the olive green blazer set up. And one of my personal favorites, throwing a buttoned blazer over a pair of jeans. Casual, but still unique.  Add a little chain or a chunky necklace to make it even more fun. 

2. A Funky Boot

If you’re not feelin’ the whole blazer look, slip on a pair of exciting boots. It adds something new and special to every outfit and never fails to keep it interesting. 

Whether it is a bright color or pattern, it makes any outfit pop.  You can match it with an accessory, like the small yellow purse, or you can spice up a neutral outfit with some zebra print or stripes.  Make it funky and make it yours, whatever makes you feel your absolute best.

3. Patterns on Patterns

So, it sometimes seems to me that there is this weird stigma about mixing patterns or colors.  I, for one, think it makes an outfit all the more interesting. Here is just the perfect mix of colors and patterns in a way that doesn’t quite throw you off.

While some may think throwing a bunch of patterns together may be too much; if you coordinate it correctly, it looks just right.  Matching the blues and the reds brings the outfit together in an organized, yet still interesting way with just the right amount of spunk.

4. A Fun Sneaker 

I have an undeniable love for sneakers.  You can wear them with absolutely anything you desire.  Jeans, throw on sneakers. A fancy dress, throw on sneakers.  Sweatpants, throw on sneakers. They work with anything you have in your closet, and they come in just about any shape or form.  Not to mention, they add more color and excitement to an outfit. Here are some fun examples…

As I said before, fashion is an art, and anyone can make it brighter and more exciting with colors, patterns, or accessories.  Fashion is meant to be made your own. However you choose to piece together every part is entirely up to you.

Claire is a freshman at the George Washington University Colombian College of Arts and Sciences and a journalism minor. From Ponte Vedra Beach, Florida, she loves being at the beach, doing art, and anything related to fashion design.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.