Kristen Bryant-College Sweatshirt 1
Kristen Bryant-College Sweatshirt 1
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Style > Decor

The Art of Dorm Decorating

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Housing assignments are out and it is finally time to start thinking about dorm decorating for next year. While the rooms can be small and feel unfamiliar, there are a ton of different ways to make it feel bigger, brighter and homier. If you’re in need of some extra inspiration, I get a ton of my ideas off of Pinterest (I even have a board dedicated to it).

Get different light fixtures

One of the biggest problems with dorm rooms is dingy lighting. Whether it is string lights or a lamp, warmer lighting can make all the difference in a room. I am obsessed with hanging string lights. This is also helpful if you have roommates who come in at different times so the bright, overhead lights can be turned off when one person is sleeping.

Personalize your space

There are tons of apps and websites that allow you to print pictures very inexpensively. Go on your computer, pull up iPhoto and pick some of your favorites to put on your wall. There are so many cute ways to organize them. I love being able to look at a picture of my dog every night when I go to bed.

Pick a color scheme

Not only does having a color scheme look great in that move-in Snapchats story but I truly believe it can be calming. Having a bunch of pillows that look good together also encourages me to make my bed in the morning. While it is not always possible, try and work with your roommate to coordinate so it feels even homier!

Utilize the space you have

Dorm rooms are not big so you really have to capitalize on whatever space you are living in. There are tons of great options such as ottomans with storage inside and bed risers to use the space under your bed.

Invest in a good mattress pad

(While this isn’t exactly decorating advice, it is still very important.)

Let’s be honest: dorm room mattresses are not comfortable. If you plan on living on campus for a few years, get a really good Twin or Twin XL mattress pad. It is so worth it to come home to a comfy bed. I have a Tempurpedic one and it is heaven.

The most important thing about decorating a dorm room is to keep it authentic. This is your home for the next year so you really want to make it somewhere that you look forward to coming back to every day. Happy shopping!

Sarah is a junior at The George Washington University School of Business, studying Finance and Sports Management, with a minor in Spanish. She previously worked at the Her Campus Media headquarters in Boston as a Product and Operations intern. She is a dedicated Boston sports fan, loves to travel, and pets every dog she sees.