8 Restaurants that should definitely be on GWorld

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

We all know the feeling: not wanting to eat another Chipotle burrito bowl or more Whole Foods ramen. Without a dining hall, many of us thought that we would have unlimited options for food around the GW campus— but that is not the case. Whether it was parents weekend or an off-GWorld splurge, we have dipped our toes into the dangerous and enticing world of restaurants that do not accept our Buff and Blue cards. Here are a few of these restaurants (all within a mile of campus):

1. Trader Joes

1101 25th Street NW

A sea of Hawaiian shirts and delicious frozen meals, Trader Joes is a hidden gem just north of campus. With quality comparable or better than Whole Foods, Trader Joes prices are significantly lower. The longer walk is worth it once you taste their different gnocci varieties and peanut butter pretzels.

2)   Founding Farmers

1924 Pennsylvania Ave NW      

Need I say more? All of their menus, whether brunch, lunch or dinner have unique and delicious options for every guest. Their fun and colorful location is located on campus and is just one of many different “Farmers” restaurants around DC. Come one, come all, please!

3)  Bluestone Lane

1100 23rd St NW

The Australian café just opened their first location in DC, just a few blocks away from campus and it is already a popular brunch spot for many GW students. Their avocado toast is wildly popular and there are a plethora of drink options. Not only is this a great foodie spot, it is also connected to the West End library so it is an awesome place to study.

4)  Aperto

2013 I St NW

Sister restaurant of the DC legend Al Tiramisu, Aperto offers authentic Italian cuisine from the brilliant mind of Chef Luigi Diotaiuti. While they have perfected classic Italian dishes, much of their menu is a fun twist on these dishes. It is the perfect place for a date night or a birthday dinner as always have lots of seating and private rooms for events.

5)  Flower Child

2112 Pennsylvania Ave NW Suite 101

With great healthy options that actually look (and taste!) good, this spot just opened a few weeks ago in Foggy Bottom. The cute and colorful aesthetic of Flower Child is a great spot to grab lunch or breakfast with friends. It is also close enough to campus to just grab a salad, a wrap or kombucha on your way to class. There are rumors that it will be added to GWorld soon…

6)  Circa

2221 I Street NW

Unique yet simple meals are the cornerstone of this DC chain of bistros. They have great options for all meals of the day at reasonable prices. With excellent quality of the ingredients and service, this sit-down restaurant right on campus would be a great addition to the list of GWorld vendors.

7)  Vapiano

1800 M Street NW

In case you didn’t know, there is only one place on GWorld to get pasta. The Italian cafeteria, Vapiano, would be a perfect addition to the Italian selections on GWorld. They offer many customizable meals including pasta, pizza, risotto and salads. Not only is the food delicious but it is also a fun experience to watch your meal get made right in front of your eyes. 

8)  Noodles and Company

1667 K Street NW 

While on the topic of pasta, Noodles and Company offers different forms of pasta from various cuisines such as Italian, Thai and Korean. The Noodle World Kitchen brands themselves as a food adventure for your taste buds. Not only are there dishes delicious but they have menus for different diets, including gluten-free and vegetarian. 

Sarah is a junior at The George Washington University School of Business, studying Finance and Sports Management, with a minor in Spanish. She previously worked at the Her Campus Media headquarters in Boston as a Product and Operations intern. She is a dedicated Boston sports fan, loves to travel, and pets every dog she sees.
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.