This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

Valentine’s Day might be in the winter, but autumn is the true season of love. With the leaves starting to change color and the air becoming crisp, fall brings the perfect opportunities to curl up with a cup of apple cider or venture outside without overheating. It’s the best time to uncover all that DC has to offer… so why not explore with a partner? Here are five fall date ideas to help you spice up your romantic life this season:

5. Picnic at the National Mall

Are you really a GW student if you don’t take advantage of our proximity to the National Mall? The Mall is a very popular spot for both tourists and college students, but a romantic picnic underneath the fiery leaves and the monuments might just make the park even more magical.

4. Go to a Nationals Game

Take your date out to the ball game this fall for an afternoon of cheering, banter, and hot dogs! The ballpark lends a positive, nostalgic environment to talk about experiences like going to baseball games with your family. 

3. Go to a Haunted House

Cuddling with your partner while watching a cheesy horror film is a classic fall date, but how about upgrading that idea just a little bit by going to an actual haunted house. A good jump scare will definitely give you the perfect excuse to cuddle up to your boo. There’s still a few weeks left of Spooky Szn, so don’t miss out! Popular attractions include the Old Stone House, Fright at the Museum: Dead Men Walking, and Laurel’s House of Horror.

2. Go to the Farmer’s Market

The FRESHFARM Dupont Circle Market is held every Sunday from 8:30 am to 1:30 pm, and is only a 20 minute walk from campus! The farmers market offers locally produced fruits and veggies, and the perfect setting for breakfast and bonding! You can even pick out some produce together to cook a delicious fall meal that night. 

1. Carve Pumpkins

Carving pumpkins is a classic and nostalgic Halloween activity that will be sure to bring out your inner children! Reminisce about each other’s childhoods while you carve, and gain a deeper insight into your partner’s personality through their design. Pumpkin patches may be hard to come by in the city, but Whole Foods has a 2 for $10 deal on pumpkins!

Brianna is a freshman at the George Washington University, majoring in International Affairs. She is originally from Gilroy, California. In her free time, she can be found watching the "Great British Baking Show," and exploring DC with her friends.