joshua sukoff 5DDYHjk KMU unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
joshua sukoff 5DDYHjk KMU unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Culture > News

150 Most Powerful Women in Washington, DC

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

There is no better place to find inspiration than in the capital of the United States, known as Washington DC. DC has been known to be full of ambitious and hardworking young professionals, but college women know how hard it can be to find someone to relate to in a man’s world. The Washingtonian, a 50-year-old D.C-based magazine, made the search easy for us by compiling a list of “the most powerful women in Washington.” The list includes 150 of the area’s most influential women in government, business, law, sports, education, media, nonprofits, and the arts. Some notable names on the list include:

• D.C’s own mayor! Muriel Bowser, who has been in office since 2015, and started her second term earlier this year. Bowser is known for making the city more inclusive and building up all the neighborhoods across DC’s eight wards.  

• The U.S attorney for D.C, Jessie Liu, who was promoted from Assistant U.S Attorney in 2017. She has received an A.B from Harvard and a J.D from Yale! She takes pride in standing up for hate crimes.  

• Debra Lerner Cohen is the principal owner of the D.C baseball team, Washington Nationals. The Nationals recently won their first MLB World Series in 2019 under her and her family’s leadership.  

• Melissa Chiu and Anthea M. Hartig, both of whom are a director of a Smithsonian museum. Melissa runs the Smithsonian’s Hirshhorn Museum and Sculpture Garden, where she advocates for contemporary art. Anthea M. Hartig is the first woman to become director of the Smithsonian’s National Museum of American History, where she plans to open three new exhibitions.

The rest of the list can be found at this link: https://www.washingtonian.com/2019/10/01/most-powerful-women-in-washington/#Business

I am a senior at The George Washington University from Brooklyn, New York. My major is Business Administration with a dual concentration in Marketing and Innovation & Entrepreneurship; Minoring in Journalism & Mass Communications. I love to write any and everything - songs, poems, articles, short stories, etc!
Isabella grew up in Boston and is currently a student at The George Washington University studying International Business and Chinese. Her dream job is working as a journalist in New York, and she hopes to travel all over the world and study abroad in Shanghai. You can find her taking walks with her three Labradoodles or doing yoga with friends.