15 Life Lessons that Gilmore Girls Can Teach Everyone

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at GWU chapter.

In anticipation for the upcoming new Gilmore Girls reboot, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, I decided to compose an article on the life lessons that seasons 1-7 of Gilmore Girls taught me. Hopefully, this will refresh your memory of where Gilmore Girls left off, so you’ll be back into the swing of things by the time November 25th rolls around!

1. Coffee is the answer to everything, and I think we got this from watching every episode with Loreali. 

Giphy.com

2. Your mom’s clothes are the best clothes, especially when she’s the same size as you. Despite the fact that these clothes were from the years of 2000-2007, Rory and Lorelai slay the fashion game with their berets, scarves, jean jackets, converse, flared jeans, and handmade dresses made by Lorelai. 

Google.com

3. Always go for the boy who notices your values, not just your looks. Dean didn’t notice Rory because of what she wore or how she looked; he noticed her intellect by how focused she was while reading.

Tumblr.com

4. It’s perfectly okay to have your mom as your best friend — she knows you more than you know yourself. Rory and Lorelai are the definition of best friend goals. From their witty banter to their openness on any topic, they made you want to go hug your mom and tell her everything after watching each episode.

Giphy.com

5. Humorous comebacks or off-topic conversations are the best way to deal with any situation, good or bad.

Google.com

6. Go after your dreams! Lorelai didn’t give up on getting the Dragonfly Inn, even when she seemed at odds. You shouldn’t give up even if the chances of succeeding are slim!    

Google.com

7. Spend as much time with your grandparents as you can, and always try to fit them into your schedule. They always want you to be involved in their schedules (even if they want dinner on Friday nights)! 

Tumblr.com

8. Don’t let where you wanted to go to school dictate your worth. When Paris didn’t get into Harvard, she let it affect her terribly, but she rose above it and attended the school where she was meant to be. Some of you may not have had GW as your top choice. You may have felt less about yourself for not getting into certain Ivy Leagues or Georgetown (or maybe like Paris, you thought you didn’t get in because you had sex), but hopefully you now feel certain that GW is where you’re supposed to be. 

Tumblr.com

9.  Food is comfort, and it’s also the solution to most of life’s problems. Pizza particularly helps.

Giphy.com

10. Learning is so important! Reading is so important! Doing your best is so important! Performing well in school will help get you anywhere that you need or want to be. Rory got into Harvard, Yale, and Princeton because she loved reading and learning — you can have all the opportunities you want if you set your mind to it.

Google.com

11. Always follow your passions. After Richard retired, he was in a state of boredom until Rory brought him back to work through a school project. After that, he pursued what he loved and started his own successful business from the ground up. Also, he continued to make himself relevant in the business world, even though he had just discovered how the Internet works. 

Google.com

12. If you don’t like something, don’t just accept it, simply change it. This concept can be taken from when Emily changes her maids frequently. If something is not done the way she wants it, she simply switches out the person who did it wrong. There’s no need to stay mad when you can do something about it to make yourself happy.

Google.com

13. Friends are a vital component in everyone’s life. In Stars Hallow, there’s many different types of friendships that one needs: Lane, the rebel; Sookie, the loyal, yet nutty chef; Luke, the sensitive grump; Taylor, the overachiever; Ms. Patty, the woman of many stories; Paris, the neuortic know-it-all; Michel, the people hater; And Kirk, the friendly loner. 

Google.com

14. Feminism is EVERYTHING! All of the women featured on the show are pure feminists without even having to own up to it. They are in charge of their own lives, and they never let a man decide how they are going to live their lives no matter what. They go where they please, do what they want, and live in the way they want to live, despite some of the standards men place on them.

Marieclaire.com

15. Family is everything. Despite the fights or arguments Lorelai got into with Richard and Emily, they continued to work through it and compromised with each other. Though there were many fights, Loreali knows that her parents love her deep down and only want the best for her and Rory. The show teaches us all to be thankful for our family, because no matter what happens, they will always love us. 

Google.com

Be sure to catch these lessons and many more on the reboot of Gilmore Girls, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life, coming out on November 25th on Netflix!