Words that We Need to Stop Calling Each Other

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

There are some words floating around out there in the English language that we really need to retire. I’m tired of hearing them used as insults and I’m betting you are too. Without further ado, let’s get to the list.

“P**sy”

Uh hi, excuse me? I have one of those. And by the way, they’re awesome. Don’t be offended next time someone calls you a p**sy, be proud that someone named you the most complex anatomy of a female. Women push humans out of those things. If you call someone a p**sy, you are really calling them “strong” and “self-sustaining”, which makes your intention pointless and immature.

“Douche”

Does anyone else get increasingly awkward when someone gets called a douche? Does anyone remember what a douche actually is? By definition, a douche is: a shower of water. “Hey man, you’re such a shower of water.” All right, sounds legit.

“Alcoholic”

Just because your friend passed out on the floor after their 21st birthday does not mean that they’ve developed alcoholism. (But just because you’re in college doesn’t mean binge drinking can’t be a problem.) We need to stop calling each other “alcoholics” because there are actual alcoholics out there struggling with a very real, complicated disease. If you do become worried about a friend’s alcohol intake, sit down with them to discuss it, rather than judging them so harshly.

“The ‘C-Word’”

This is quite possibly one of the most offensive terms to refer to anyone, especially a woman. It’s really just unattractive to use this word in any case. Please, let’s just refrain from this one entirely.

“Gay”

You’re so gay.” “You homo.” It’s time to let this go. It’s not even an insult. Call me gay or homo and I will be ecstatic actually.

“Slut”

The word “slut” is totally wrong. Can someone explain to me what is so wrong with being confident enough to wear something revealing or having multiple sexual partners? It’s not your business, and it’s definitely not your place to define someone based on a few actions or items of dress. Leave it (and them) be.

“Ghetto”

The next time you hear someone call someone else “ghetto” for listening to rap music or wearing a certain style of clothes, hit them with some facts. “Ghetto” is not an adjective, and when you use it as an adjective, it is HIGHLY offensive. “Ghetto” is a noun, more specifically, a place. Keep this one out of your mouths.

“Bi-polar”

“Are you bi-polar?!” Why yes, I am. I am actually struggling with it quite a lot, but have been doing well lately. So please, don’t try to use my mental illness to insult me. I battle with it every day and find it ridiculous that you think calling me bi-polar is going to do anything to change it. It actually makes it worse.

Language has power, so next time you hear someone use one of these words, make sure to speak up! And if you really need to insult someone I encourage you to turn to Shakespeare for some really top-notch comebacks such as, “You scullion! You rampallian! You fustilarian! I’ll tickle your catastrophe!” or “Go, prick thy face, and over-red thy fear, Thou lily-liver’d boy!” You can also never go wrong with: ““There’s no more faith in thee than in a stewed prune.” For more alternative to the offensive words listed above, consult this Shakesperian insult generator for insulits at the touch of a button!