This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

True friends come in all shapes, sizes, and hair colors. I was lucky enough to knab a best friend within my first few days entering college. My freshman year roommate- and now my sophomore year and soon to be junior year roommate- is a ginger. And not your typical strawberry blonde ginger either, but full on orange ginger hair. There are several qualities I have noticed that come along with ginger hair, all of which create the perfect combination for a best friend.

First, gingers are always down for an adventure. My roommate is more often than not the person I choose to attend concerts with, go on wild hikes to take pictures, or have a night out on the weekends with. She’s down for anything, and her spunky personality matches perfectly with her red hair.

Gingers are also really great listeners. I cannot even begin to count how many times I have complained to my ginger friend about the same problems for hours on end, whether it be crying to her about boys or sharing my anxieties about a test I still have not studied for. She’s always there to listen and give advice when I need it, or at least offer a shoulder for me to cry on, followed by some chocolate.

Lastly, having a ginger friend means you always have a kind person who will stick by you through thick and thin. Although their hair may be fiery orange, they know when to cool down and stand by your side through the tough times.

Now, these may all just be generalizations about good friends overall, but I still believe ginger friends are the best kind of friends to have. I’m thankful for my spontaneous, kind, and hilarious ginger roommate each morning when she reminds me to get my lazy but out of bed and head to class. So, to all the ginger friends out there, cheers to you!

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.