Twenty Lessons I Learned My Sophomore Year of College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

This year, my sophomore year in college, has been challenging in so many ways. However, those challenges have meant a lot of learning for me, academically, professionally, and personally. Here are some of the lessons I learned the hard way this year, so maybe you don’t have to go through them too.

1. Joining a million clubs won’t make you a better person, it will only stress you out.

2. It’s okay to drop a class. The professor won’t hate you. She understands.

3.  Admitting you’re not okay is alright. Going to see a counselor is alright.

4. Eating healthy and exercise is so much more important than you think it is.

5. Get a fish, or a plant, or both. Have something to take care of that isn’t yourself.

6. Read more books.

7. Calling home is always a good idea. Your parents want to hear from you.

8. Don’t drink cold brew at 9 p.m., even if you think you can handle it. You can’t.

9. Never turn down an amazing opportunity just because you’re scared. The fear will subside, and it will be worth it.

10. Don’t give all your love and attention to a boy who doesn’t do the same for you.

11. Go to bed early sometimes.

12. But also don’t say no to late-night desserts and laughing with your friends.

13. Know that the ocean will always heal you.

14. When you’re hurting, write poetry or create art. Capture that pain, and release it through your work.

15. Apply, even if you know getting that job/internship/whatever is impossible. Do it anyway, because you never know.

16. Say hi to the stranger sitting next to you. They might become a friend.

17. It’s okay to be bad at things. Being bad is how you eventually get good.

18. Work really, really hard. Not for anyone else, but for yourself.

19. Working 16-hour shifts is really awful, but you can do it.

20. You are smart enough. Don’t ever think that you’re not.

Marie Osuna

Gustavus '21

Always drinking coffee and writing.