Thoughts I Had While at the John Mayer Concert

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

John Mayer. You can’t help but love him. I recently saw John Mayer perform at the Xcel Energy Center in St. Paul, Minnesota and it was hands down one of the best nights of my life. It beat out my high school proms, my first real date, and okay, basically everything. I didn’t realize until the moment he started singing right in front of me just how thankful I am for him and his music for being a part of my youth and early adulthood. His music has touched me in ways that I cannot even explain; it gives me chills and transports me to another world. To make the night even better, one of my favorite bands, LANY, was the opening band. Let’s just say I had some MAJOR fangirl moments, especially over Paul, the lead singer. From the moment that John came on stage I teared up and throughout the whole entire two-hour show I had so many thoughts flowing throughout my mind while I sung along. Here are just a few of those thoughts:

Thoughts I had throughout the opening act, LANY:

Photo by Joe Lemke Photography

“OH MY GOD Paul is wearing a man bun and a bandana. I am not prepared for this.”

“Okay, this band is going to be huge after this tour and that’s scary. They used to be a little secret of mine.”

“Why are people not standing up and dancing to this?! It’s a total bop!”

“The people who didn’t come in time to watch the opener are missing out.”

“Everyone is probably staring at me while I dance and scream along the words to this song, but I don’t really care.”

“John Mayer is one of Paul’s idols; it is so cute that his band is opening for him.”

“Okay, I love this band.”

Thoughts I had throughout John Mayer slaying the stage:

“Holy crap, I’m actually here right now.”

“The age difference between the people here is so funny. You have the grandma and grandpas and the 10 year old kids whose parents dragged them along.”

“Okay, but actually how is John single?”

Photo by Joe Lemke Photography

“Is John wearing sweatpants? Yep.”

“I wish my job was to hand John his guitars after every song.”

“Damn, I was only 3 years old when this song was released.”

“How is somebody exactly 20 years older than me still hot?”

“I am so honored to share a birthday with this man.”

“LOOK AT THE WAY HE SWAYS HIS HIPS! I’M DEAD!”

Photo by Joe Lemke Photography

“How do people not like his new music?! “Moving On and Getting Over” is a bop!”

“Okay, but I would actually pay to just watch him talk for five hours.”

“He’s playing Vultures. He’s playing Vultures. I fricken love this!”

Photo by Joe Lemke Photography

“I need John to play his cover of “Free Fallin”.

“HOLY DWQIKQDNKQW he’s playing “Free Fallin!!!!”

“I am definitely not worthy of this greatness.”

Photo by Joe Lemke Photography

“I wish John was my best friend.”

“Why am I crying?”

“Nothing is ever going to top this moment.”

Photo by Joe Lemke Photography

“Wait it’s over? No, John come back!”

“Did that really just happen?”

“Okay, that was bloody amazing.”

Photo by Joe Lemke Photography

Hey, I'm Corbyn Jenkins! I am a Junior at Gustavus Adolphus College majoring in English & minoring in Film & Media Studies. In my free time I enjoy art, photography, exploring, going to concerts, and spending time with my friends and family.