Ten Books to Add to your Summer Reading List

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Every summer, I always think that I am going to get so much reading done, but almost never do. I get distracted by all the other things that summer has to offer: lots of Netflix time, hanging out with friends, and just generally lounging around. However, this summer I am determined to make a dent in my to-read list. These are the ten books I plan to read this summer; and I highly recommend you check some of them out, too.

1. The Nest by Cynthia D’Aprix Sweeney

I purchased this book from a thrift store recently, intrigued by the cover and the unique story of family it promises on the inside cover. I thought it would be the perfect story to kick off my summer reading!

2. Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed

I have always meant to read this adventurous memoir, and figured this summer would be the perfect time to do so. While I probably won’t be going on a grand adventure myself this summer, I can feel as if I did by reading about Strayed’s hike.  

3. Leaving Time by Jodi Picoult

While I am the biggest fan of Picoult’s other works, I somehow have managed to not read this book yet! It tells the story of a daughter trying to uncover the circumstances around her mother’s disappearance. Also, there’s elephants.  

4. Moby Dick by Herman Melville

This classic story has been hailed by some, and said to be boring by others. Nevertheless, I plan to take on this long and difficult book this summer.  

5. The Stranger by Albert Camus

I have heard a lot of really good things about this book, and want to finally read it! It is said to be a short, but powerful, read.  

6. The Library at the Edge of the World by Felicity Hayes-McCoy

I discovered this book while mindlessly browsing at Barnes & Noble on day, and it immediately intrigued me. The description promises it to be a warm, feel-good novel, which I think is the perfect book for both days on the beach or rainy days inside.  

7. City of Thieves by David Benioff

This book has been recommended to me by many friends, so I thought I should finally read it. It is a thrilling adventure story set during WWII‒but still is promised to have a contemporary feel.  

8. A Spool of Blue Thread by Anne Tyler

I don’t think I have ever picked up a Pulitzer Prize-winning book and been disappointed, so this should be an excellent read! Set in the 1920’s, it is said to be an emotional family story that will be cherished.  

9. A Good Idea at the Time: A Short Story Six Pack by Baker Lawley

To shake up my list, I thought I would read this book of short stories, written by one of my professors here at Gustavus! After he has spent all semester reading my short stories, it seems only fair that I take the time to read some of his.  

10. Landline by Rainbow Rowell

I have read several of Rowell’s other novels, and they have never disappointed. So, I thought I would give this one a read!

I hope you discovered some good books on this list, or are inspired to create your own list of books to tackle. Happy summer, and happy reading!

Marie Osuna

Gustavus '21

Always drinking coffee and writing.