Strong Lady Books to Give Your Strong Lady Friends This Holiday Season

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Need gift suggestions for your strong female friends this year? How about getting them one of these ten book suggestions that will inspire and empower them going into the new year.

The Handmaids Tale by Margaret Atwood

This dystopian novel explores a world in which women have had all power taken away from them. However, the female characters in this book embody feminism in a shape and form that is not often talked about. Bonus: the book has recently been made into a Hulu original series!

Men Explain Things to Me by Rebecca Solnit

Solnit’s series of essays tackles the issues between men and women today, and why the silencing of women is such a problem. It’s an inspiring read that any strong women would enjoy reading!

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath

This haunting American classic features a very talented woman, and readers find themselves delving into the depths of her inner psyche. It’s such a genius book that everyone should read at least once in their lifetime.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou

Following Angelou’s journey of growing up and self discovery is a delightful treat for all readers. This book will capture you with the struggles of finding freedom in self-love, the kindness of others, and her own adoration of literature.

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

This book features a relatable female lead, especially for girls going through the struggles of high school. Melinda’s story of trying to find her voice and speak up for herself during a time when she feels most unheard will help every young woman learn to do the same.

The Help by Kathryn Stockett

The Help follows three unique women through their own journeys and struggles dealing with both segregation and sexism in America. This book is a true testament to the power of female voices and writers and how they can re-shape society.

To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf 

The tensions of family life and conflicts between genders is what makes this moving book exceptional. Woolf has crafted an outstanding book that will resonate with everyone on your gift list this year.

Feminism: The Essential Historical Writings by Miriam Schneir

Many of these traditional writings have been long out-of print, and Schneir brings them back into one compelling collection of essays. Written by women in a male-dominated society, these writings will interest all your feminist friends.

Small Great Things by Jodi Picoult

This book explores the lives of two very different women whose worlds collide in the face of a tragic death. They must learn to overcome their biases in order to help each other and discover what it means to be equal in the modern world.

Attachments by Rainbow Rowell

Reading the emails of BFFs Beth and Jennifer will make you fall in love with these complex, quirky females. It’s a lighthearted but memorable novel that would make a great present for any strong female.

Head over to your nearest bookstore to hunt down these great reads! Your strong lady friends will not be disappointed when they unwrap these.

Marie Osuna

Gustavus '21

Always drinking coffee and writing.