The Start of Something New: Introducing Legacy a Capella

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

This year Legacy, the first ever mixed a capella group at Gustavus, was formed by Dr. Dean with the help of several dedicated music students, including myself. Legacy is an auditioned group of twelve talented singers including a spectacular vocal percussionist. This is a new experience for many people in the group so it’s an fantastic opportunity to grow, learn, and develop the group as we see fit.

One of the hardest parts about starting this new group was definitely finding a time where all of us could meet. With typical jam-packed Gustie schedules, it was a challenge to find a time that wouldn’t conflict with any of our other commitments. So far, we have only been meeting once a week for about an hour and a half, but we realized we weren’t progressing as much as we’d like. We’ve now added more rehearsal time without Dr. Dean, including a weekend getaway planned by our very own “fun-dinators”.

At our weekend getaway, we worked for countless hours to perfect rhythms and pitches in addition to bonding as a group. Being a little more isolated in northern Minnesota allowed us to leave the stress of school behind to focus on truly making quality music. During that weekend everyone was so focused which aided in how much we progressed in such a short time. Even with having multiple rehearsals, we also had free time and bonding time. I enjoyed the chance to get to know the group on a personal level instead of just knowing that we all love to sing.

Photo credit: Diana Draayer

Coming into this new group I didn’t really expect to get so close to the other members, but music ties people together in a stronger way than words can explain. Singing together allows us to open up our hearts to others around us without having to think about it. There’s truly something special about making music with other people, whether you know them or not. Afterwards, you have a deep connection with each other that can’t be broken.

I can speak on behalf of all of Legacy when I say that we are so excited to perform for our peers later this semester. We aren’t quite sure yet when that will be, but when the time does come, we want to invite everyone to come relax, and have a great time listening to people who love what they’re doing.

After seeing what has happened over the past few months, I can’t wait to see where this journey will lead us as the year continues. Being part of Legacy has been such an uplifting and positive experience and I advise everyone to find a similar experience that provides community and enjoyment. Although putting everything together isn’t easy, I can tell you from personal experience that it is totally worth it when everything turns out perfectly. Legacy is truly leaving its mark in my heart and I know it will leave its mark on Gustavus too.

Nicole is a first year at Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota. You can usually find her locked away in her dorm room either studying,jamming to music, binge watching Facebook videos shared by her friends, or staring at pictures of puppies. She loves hanging with friends, going on adventures, singing, and telling bad jokes.