Spotlight on Gustavus College Republicans

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

With political discussions at an all-time high, it seemed like the perfect time to sit down with one of our campus’ political support groups. Recently, I had the opportunity to talk with the leader of the College Republicans here at Gustavus, Nathan Dull, to get a glimpse at the republican perspective of America and the fast approaching election.

What are the major Republican values and which do you most identify with?

“Constitutionalism, the belief that the constitution is still relevant in today’s society. I also believe that free market is the best kind of market and I believe in fiscal conservatism.”

What are the most common stereotypes about Republicans?

“Where do I start? Racist, sexist, homophobic, misogynistic… you name it! It is unfortunate that there is such a negative connotation surrounding republicans and that is why younger Republicans are working to get a better image out there.”

What is it like to be a Republican in such a predominantly Democratic state?

“Well, you become familiar with disappointment as you get used to losing races more than you want–but that’s just part of politics. The most difficult part is finding people with similar and like minds.”

What are the challenges of being a Republican at this time in America?

“To promote our own ways of thinking and our own alternatives. I do not doubt that democrats and liberals and progressives all have their own vision for the United States, which is the best vision for them. I believe that [Republicans] have the best vision for us, and we both just have different ways of getting there.”

Republicans are most known for favoring larger state governments and a smaller federal government. Do you agree with this idea and if so, why? What are the upsides to this philosophy?

“I think that the tenth amendment is very important and that states should have some sort of rights. As to where those rights begin, you can look literally at the meaning of the tenth: all powers not given to the federal government in the constitution are reserved for the states. However, we know that’s not true today. The federal government does go beyond what the tenth amendment states and I believe that there are a lot of powers the federal government should have, but I think we should delegate some of those powers back to the states.”

What is your opinion of Donald Trump?

“I haven’t liked Donald Trump since the day he announced [his candidacy].”

What are some of Trump’s qualities that will make him a good president?

“The fact that he would not be controlled by special interests.”

What is your reaction to the remarks Trump has made throughout his campaign, and more recently, those that are disrespectful and demeaning towards women? Has this affected your opinion of Trump as president? What are some reasons a Republican would choose to support him after hearing these comments?

“Personally, I take everything he says with grain of salt now because my opinion of him has not changed. Why republicans still support him is because he is not Hillary Clinton. That is why I believe people still support him.”  

What does a Republican who is not a Trump supporter, and obviously not a Hillary supporter do in an election like this?

“You obviously focus on the down ballot. The president is just a face. Congress, State legislators, and the governorships are far more important than the president. They actually make law, they can override things, and they approve the president picks for the cabinet and federal judicial sports. Also, look at the alternatives. There are nine choices for president on the Minnesota ballot. You don’t have to feel confined to vote for Hillary Clinton or Donald Trump; you do have a couple other choices. I think that’s why Evan McMullin has been doing so well; he is looked at as the better conservative choice for republicans.”

For more information about College Republicans, please contact Nathan Dull at ndull@gustavus.edu