free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
free to use sounds kOuCX7fh50U unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Short on Cash? Need a Part-Time Job? Get a CNA Certificate!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

I think I can say pretty comfortably that all college students are decently broke. We could all use some extra cash for tuition, food, or just for fun. If the idea of getting another job (especially a fast food or retail job) sounds like a drag to you, I have another idea for you: get your certified nursing assistant certificate.

I know what you’re thinking: is this girl crazy? I’m not going to work in a nursing home. I know, I know. I thought that, too, at first. But after having worked as a CNA for over a year now, I promise you that it’s not bad. In fact, I love my job. Not only do I take care of residents (doing everything from helping them to the bathroom to showering to feeding), but I get to bond with them and learn about their lives. They all have such interesting stories, and such lively personalities. Once you get to know your residents, cleaning them up doesn’t seem like such a big deal. No other workplace will ever be filled with such love.

If that doesn’t convince you, you should know that the average pay for a CNA in Minnesota is $14.03 an hour. That’s about $4.50 over minimum wage. Even better, many facilities offer the training classes for free, and you can start work there right after. These classes only take about 6 weeks. My job has also been very flexible working with my college schedule. If you’re super busy, you can take a casual position and just pick up shifts whenever you are able. Overall, I think it’s the perfect job for college students.

I am not going into nursing, but being a CNA has taught me so many life lessons, and I am so thankful that I gave this job a try.

I know that it may seem intimidating, but I truly love being a CNA. I think it’s a field that everyone should work in for a while, as it teaches you to think empathetically about someone other than yourself. I recommend seriously considering this job.

Marie Osuna

Gustavus '21

Always drinking coffee and writing.