Reflecting on Over a Year of HC Gustavus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

As we head into summer, I can’t help but look back at the past year and reflect on all of the awesome things Her Campus at Gustavus has accomplished. It’s hard to believe that this organization has only been around since last spring.

It all started with an idea: an idea to give women on campus an exclusive platform to share their voices, to empower one another, and to gain experience in a male-dominated field. While we have had our fair share of obstacles in making this dream a reality–such as learning how to run a publication, overcoming backlash, and managing the time commitment in our already over-involved Gustie schedules–here we are, heads held high, pride in our hearts, and full of gratitude.

On behalf of the entire team, we want to thank all of the people–from our adviser Patty, to our dedicated readers, to our hard working team members–who have helped us get to this place. Without your support, feedback, and encouragement, Her Campus at Gustavus could not exist. And not only exist, but thrive — our organization is constantly growing and getting stronger, and we want to take a moment to share what you have helped us accomplish in the past year.

1. We became an officially recognized Gustavus student organization.

Hooray for the right to poster hanging, room reservations, and student senate funding!

2. Membership has grown. We now have 15 members!

And they are all kick-ass, if I may say so myself.

3. Six of our articles were promoted by Her Campus Nationals. 

And if you’re Kjersten Piper, you articles get promoted twice (she’s that good, people).

4. We hit 400 followers on Instagram.

Shout out to our social media gurus!

5. We connected with Her Campus at MNSU. 

Not only has their chapter mentored us, but they also invited us to their first ever female empowerment conference!

6. We hosted some awesome events.

My favorite was our writing showcase — there’s something so powerful about hearing an article aloud in the author’s voice.

7. Our publication has reached over 1 million views.

Thank you, thank you, thank you for reading!

8. Our chapter achieved silver level status.

This is an honor in the Her Campus world, especially since we are such a small school.

9. We are sending four team members to a national conference.

Her Conference, to be exact. (To find out more, visit http://www.herconference.com/#home/about)

10. And we have formed lifelong friendships.

It is an incredible feeling to connect with other women over a shared passion for Gustavus, journalism, and female empowerment. To my team members, thank you for always loving          and supporting me. I am so grateful.

Have a great summer, and we can’t wait to see you in the fall!

HCXO, HC Gustavus

President of Her Campus at Gustavus Senior Communication Studies 2018 TFA Corp Member Collegiate Fellow HGTV enthusiast