Meet Liz Jasper, Member of the Gustavus Dance Company and a C in CC 2016 Dancer!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

Liz Jasper is a junior here at Gustavus Adolphus College. She is majoring in psychology, with minors in both dance and classics. She is a member of the Gustavus Dance Company, as well as being involved in Serenity House Gustavus. In addition to this, Liz is dancing in Christmas in Christ Chapel this year. She graciously shared some of her favorite dance memories here at GAC, as well as why she loves Christmas in Christ Chapel.

Thank you for sitting down with Her Campus Gustavus today!

“Thank you for having me! Let’s get started.”

How long have you been dancing for? What is your earliest dance memory?

“I have been dancing since I was three, so for about 19 years. My earliest dance memory is from when I was five years old and on stage for the first time. I tripped over my own feet while tap dancing. Everyone in the audience giggled at me, and I laughed right along with them and kept on dancing.”

How long have you been involved in the Gustavus Dance Company?

“I have been involved in the Gustavus Dance Company for two years. I was in the apprentice dance company last year, and then was moved up at the end of last semester into the Gustavus Dance Company. I achieved this through hard work, and by going to every audition at the end of each semester.”

“Building Blocks” by Sami Heggem – PC: Stan Waldhauser

Good for you! What is one thing you love about dance?

“One thing I love about dance is that it is a place for not just me, but for all people to escape reality for a little while. It brings a sense of community and a tight knit dance family feel that turns into a solid support network that is always there for you.”

Do you plan to use dance in your future?

“After school, I plan to hopefully work at a studio as I attend graduate school. This way I can still do something I love, and get paid for it.”

Let’s get down to business. What is your role in Christmas in Christ Chapel?

“I am one of the dancers in C in CC. We perform while the orchestra plays and the choir sings. This year we are a part of two dances and a special lighting ceremony. We have done a lot of work to prepare for this. Since the beginning of the semester we have had weekly rehearsals, where the students and our choreographer Michele brainstorm ideas for the two pieces we are performing.”

Wow! That is really impressive. How and when can people (students or not) view this show?

“Tickets are on sale until the show this weekend. Tickets are free for faculty and students, and $30 for everyone else. There is also a $25 buffet held by the Gustavus Dining Services before each show. If you cannot get a ticket, or decide not to travel, you can live stream it Saturday night via the Gustavus website.”

I know you aren’t supposed to give away any C in CC secrets, but can you tell us one part you are looking forward to?

“I Am We Are will be participating in the show. They have a special role that I can’t say much about, but they will be a part of one of the songs. I am excited about this addition, and really interested in how the piece will end up. I can’t wait to see what happens, and how the work flows with the rest of performance.”

Why do you love C in CC?

“I love C in CC because it brings not only the Gustavus community together, but also the outside community for a celebration of Christmas during an otherwise hectic time in our school year. C in CC is a mesmerizing experience for people of all ages and backgrounds, and a great time to celebrate community here on the hill.”

Have you learned anything from C in CC? How about dancing here at GAC?

“Being a part of C in CC has taught me how to remain patient when a lot of people are providing ideas and direction during the rehearsals. Sometimes there are as many as five directors, and it has been fun to learn how to best juggle these opinions. Dancing here at GAC has taught me to trust how my body feels, and take the time to rehab it when necessary. The professors here are willing to work with you to achieve your best, both in the class and in individual improvement with technique.”

What is your favorite dance memory?

“One of my favorite dance memories is teaching at my old studio. I loved being able to help the little girls who looked up to me as a mentor. Also, being on stage is always a great memory because it feels like home to me. I am out there doing what I enjoy, and whether I win, lose, or trip over my own foot I still have fun.”

Is there anything you hope to accomplish in your dancing future?

“I hope dance will be a continual part of my life, and to help others realize their potential when it comes to dancing.”

Be sure to watch Liz and the rest of the C in CC dancers illuminate the stage at Christmas in Christ Chapel 2016 Ubuntu Jesu: From the Cradle of Humankind to the Ends of the Earth this weekend, December 2-4! To live stream C in CC on Saturday, December 3rd at 7:15 p.m., follow this link.