Meet Cooper and Nemo, Our Campus Kitties!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

By now I’m sure you’ve all already gotten to meet the two cutest members of the Gustavus community, Cooper and Nemo, but here’s your chance to really get to know both of them. Elizabeth Jenner, a professor in the Sociology/Anthropology and Gender, Women, and Sexuality studies departments, is the proud owner of both Cooper and Nemo and gave HC Gustavus the inside scoop on our beloved campus cats.

Photo: Ethan Forney 

Photo: Ethan Forney 

This little guy’s name is Cooper. He’s a fairly shy but totally friendly kitty here on campus! In his free time he loves hanging out with students and exploring whatever he can get into. If you have any treats Cooper is sure to be your best friend (at least while you’re supplying them!) Next to treats, his favorite foods are ice cream and yogurt even though he knows they aren’t good for him.

What’s your favorite toy to play with?

“I really love playing with that little dot that moves all around and somehow always seems to escape me. I also really like chasing these funny little feathers around. I don’t know exactly how they move but I think it might have something to do with this weird stick my owner holds in her hands. My other favorite is probably the fish screen; the only downside is that I never get to eat any of the fish.”

What’s your biggest fear?

“Well I don’t like to admit it, but there’s this little leopard print doorstop in the bathroom and it’s shaped like a cat. It spooks me every time I go in there. I’m working on getting over it but those first few weeks with him gave me a heart attack every time I saw him.”

What do you do that you know your owner can’t stand?

“I just love to cuddle and be warm. I think the best time to do that is obviously when my paws are cold and wet, right? Well, Elizabeth doesn’t think so but that sure doesn’t stop me!”

If you were a person, what would you be like?

“I’d be an energetic kid who loves to play with everyone! I wouldn’t always pay attention and therefore I’d probably get myself into trouble a lot but I’d be good-hearted deep down.”

Photo: Katie Allen 

This fella is Nemo but also holds the nickname of Mr. Chubs. He’s originally from St. Cloud but managed to wander until he found Elizabeth in good ole Saint Peter. He’s pretty outgoing, friendly, and affectionate towards people and other animals. He also LOVES catnip. Seriously, he loves it more than anything else.

What happened to your tail?

“It’s a pretty sad story and I don’t want to get too sappy about it so I’ll just give you the short version. I wasn’t watching where I was going and I don’t move too fast. I ended up getting stuck to the wheel of a car and my tail needed to be amputated after that. I didn’t like it at first but it’s grown on me (not literally though).”

What is your all-time favorite thing to play with?

“I really like this light-up ball that’s inside this container. I can’t seem to get it out but it’s still pretty fun to push around in circles!”

Who is the boss between you and Cooper?

“I’m the boss, of course!”

What’s your biggest fear?

“I cannot stand being carried down stairs. I get that cats always land on their feet but I’m quite clumsy so I don’t trust myself! I also don’t trust people who carry cats down stairs…I have legs, let me use them!”

“I’d be the social butterfly and someone who is important to the group of people I’m with. I’d also always be up in people’s business because I always want to know what others are up to.”

If you’re missing you’re pets from home, don’t fret! Just look around campus for these two cuties. I’m sure they’ll be more than happy to make you smile or give you some cuddles.

Photo: Joe Huff

Nicole is a first year at Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota. You can usually find her locked away in her dorm room either studying,jamming to music, binge watching Facebook videos shared by her friends, or staring at pictures of puppies. She loves hanging with friends, going on adventures, singing, and telling bad jokes.