It’s O.K. to Change Your Major

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

I’m a second semester junior in college. By this time, it’s epected of most college age students to have their major solidified and start thinking of their plans for the future. Graduation is only a year away, afterall. So when I began thinking about how my major wasn’t what I wanted to do with my life, I freaked out. I didn’t think there was any way for me to change it and I was terrified I’d be stuck doing a job I didn’t like. After spewing all my thoughts out onto a couple of helpful friends, and sending a “I’m having a quarter life crisis” email to my advisor at 10pm on a Tuesday, I came to the conclusion that changing my major is what’s going to make me happy in the long run.

And you know what? I’m nervous as all hell, but I took the leap, and I’m excited. There are so many thoughts running through my head about what I can do with my degree once I graduate. I don’t feel as stuck as I once did. I can have new experiences, go into different fields, try out everything that I thought seemed like an interesting job. I still find it daunting that college students are expected to make the choice of what they want to do with thier lives usually within the first two years of their college career. It’s one of the biggest choices of your life, and sure you can always go back to school, but who wants another $30,000 of student loan debt? 

Overall, I’m beyond content with my decision. Changing your major really isn’t as big of a deal as I thought, but it’s something that weighed on my shoulders for a long time. I’m thankful for the people who helped ease my nerves along the way, and told me to do what would make me happy. Here’s to the rest of junior year, and a senior year of new beginnings! No matter how weird that may seem.

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.