I Spent My Thanksgiving Exploring NYC Instead of Eating Turkey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

This past week, I had the opportunity to spend my Thanksgiving break in New York City. My sister Julie and I flew out on Tuesday evening and were greeted with hugs at the airport from our cousin, Claire. We were so excited to be there. Later that night, we picked up Claire’s best friend, Natalie, from the ferry. It was Claire and Natalie’s fourth Thanksgiving in NYC, and my and Julie’s first, yet all four of us were ready to make this Thanksgiving an unforgettable time!

Julie and I were there for three full days —Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday — all which were extremely busy. Here are just a few of the highlights!

Wednesday

We started the day with lunch at Black Tap, a burger restaurant in the city known for their crazy milkshakes. My sister and I decided to share the Thanksgiving Shake, a pumpkin-flavored shake with marshmallows around the edge of the glass, a piece of pumpkin pie on top, and a little turkey on a stick. It was so cute, and delicious!

Next, we went to the Top of the Rock, located at the top of Rockefeller Center, which is by far the best view in New York. You get everything (including the Empire State Building) as part of the skyline! We arrived just in time for sunset, which made for amazing views, and we got some beautiful pictures once the sun finally set.

We ended our Wednesday with the Broadway show Falsettos staring Christian Borle, Andrew Rannells, and Stephanie J. Block. It was phenomenal!

Thursday

We got up early and went to the Macy’s Thanksgiving Day Parade. It was incredible to see all of the floats, balloons, and Santa in person. It was such a different experience seeing it all in person rather than through a screen! I’m so happy that I get to cross that off of my bucket list!

Friday

We headed into the city for Black Friday shopping, of course! We hit up some of the stores around Union Square to score the best deals.

After shopping, we got Joe’s Pizza, which is a hot spot in NYC that tons of celebrities make stops at when they are in town. The pizza was the perfect snack after hours of shopping.

Julie and I also saw a second Broadway show that night. We got last minute tickets to Something Rotten!, which was a hilarious crowd pleaser. I haven’t stopped listening the soundtrack since I got home!

Saturday

The four of us got brunch in the city and then Julie and I took an Uber to the airport to catch our afternoon flight. For me, this trip felt too short. Honestly, it felt like we were only there for a day!

Yet, I couldn’t imagine having spent my Thanksgiving break anywhere else. Unfortunately, I didn’t get to eat any turkey, mashed potatoes, cranberry sauce, green bean casserole, or my personal favorites: stuffing and sweet potatoes. However, I am incredibly thankful that I was able to spend my Thanksgiving in a wonderful city, with some of the most important people in my life. 

Kristi is a sophomore at Gustavus Adolphus College where she is pursuing a major in Communication Studies and a minor in Music. At Gustavus, Kristi is involved in the instrumental and vocal music programs, and is a news writer for the on-campus newspaper, The Gustavian Weekly. A few of her favorite things include: cats, cake, watching sitcoms, and spending time with friends and family.