I Never Thought I’d Join A Sorority, But It Was a Great Decision

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

When I first started school at my small college, I had no intentions of joining Greek life. It never seemed like something that would fit my personality, as everything I had see involving fraternities and sororities was hyped up from movies and weird rush week videos you see online. As the time came for people to start attending rush week events, I decided to just go for it and attended the first event. Little did I know that going to those events and rushing into a sorority was going to turn into one of the best decisions I’ve made in college so far.

It sounds pretty dramatic and girly for me to claim that joining a sorority changed my life as much as it did, but I would not have met all the amazing girls I know now had I not rushed.

Having a group of girls that uplifts you is oftentimes hard to come by as a girl, as it seems that there is this underlying sense of competition among females in today’s society. That’s definitely not the case here. Each girl has her own unique personality and brings something to our organization that helps us grow and support each other not only as a sorority, but as a friend group. Every week we gather and exchange ideas to help our sorority evolve into something that can be increasingly beneficial to our college. We are also all dedicated to our majors and other organizations we are involved in on campus. Sororities are one of those orgs where you can be as involved as you wish; you can apply for chair positions and spend more time on the events that go into the sorority, or you can just sit back at the weekly meetings and catch up with all the girls.

While joining a sorority is not for everyone, I would highly recommend even just going through the rush process or attending an event put on by a sorority on your college campus. It’s a great way to meet dedicated, like-minded, empowered women that want to help you be the best person you can be. I love my sisters and every day I’m reminded why I joined Theta Xi Gamma.  

Linsey Wolf

Gustavus '20

Hello! My name is Linsey. I study English Education at Gustavus. In my free time I enjoy reading, drinking coffee, spending time with my friends and being outdoors.