I Joined A Book Club at School and It Changed My College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

During my college search process, I found myself being overwhelmed with information about all the clubs and activities offered by various colleges. Between sports, Greek life, and volunteer groups, each school bragged about something that made them unique.

When I finally settled on Gustavus, I remember sitting in my bedroom with a page full of campus activities, highlighting the ones I hoped to join. I was determined to have everything figured out so when I arrived on campus, I would be prepared.

Except things don’t work like that.

Walking around the Involvement Fair the second week of classes, I found myself being pulled in by activities I’d never even heard of before (for example, Her Campus). And the activities I had highlighted on my list, well, those no longer had the same sparkle that had appealed to me previously. So soon into my college life, my plans were changing along with my personality. So, reluctantly, I relinquished control and let it happen.

I wrote my name and email on lists for clubs that I hadn’t planned to join. One of them being the Page Turners, a tiny Monday-night book club that changed my entire perspective on college activities.

When I showed up at the first meeting, I didn’t know what to expect. But the members were warm and welcoming, and the group altogether had a good vibe. They were funny, open, and I felt accepted immediately.

So I bought the book, I read the chapters for the week, and I returned the following Monday. Amazingly, the next meeting was just as good. Our conversations ranged from serious to can’t-even-breathe-funny, with the occasional (okay, frequent) tangent thrown in. Very quickly, I realized that these meetings are now the highlight of my week.

For an hour a week, I can stop feeling like a lost freshman and just feel like someone who likes to read, joke, and snack on cheesy bread. I share inside jokes with the fourteen other members, and that makes me feel like I truly belong here.

Colleges may brag about their sports or traditions, but in the end it’s important to find what speaks to you. In my case, I found a book club and I couldn’t be happier.

Marie Osuna

Gustavus '21

Always drinking coffee and writing.