This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

The story of a young woman in transition between childhood and adulthood is told through director, Greta Gerwig’s, debut film, Lady Bird. The film highlights themes of family, money, early 2000s culture, love, and growing up. Gerwig’s craft has touched viewers as well as critics, receiving a 100% score from Rotten Tomatoes after 165 reviews. The film is a crucial component for the indie film scene considering that it is a major contender for the Oscars. Saoirse Ronan’s portrayal of Lady Bird is also said to be her best work yet. Lady Bird clearly has received and overwhelming amount of praise for its new take on the classic coming of age story.

The film highlights Christine, a strong-willed teenager who insists on being called “Lady Bird” saying “it was given to me, by me”. She transitions from her senior year of high school up until the beginning of her freshman year at college. All along the way, the viewer sees Lady Bird grow and change during this turbulent time period in one’s life. She attends a Catholic High School in Sacramento, California, but dreams of college on the East Coast or “somewhere with culture” as she explains to her mother. Lady Bird tries to create an idealized life for herself by having the perfect boyfriend and imagines herself living in a rich neighborhood. She battles with self-image, knowing that she doesn’t have the perfect life. Her senior year of high school is a period of trial an error with various boyfriends and an attempt to climb her school’s social ladder. From this, Lady Bird tries to find her sense of place in the world much like any other teenager.

Perhaps audiences can relate to Lady Bird because of its portrayal of family dynamics, specifically that of a mother and daughter relationship. The film touches on Lady Bird’s mother’s expectations for her daughter, hoping that she can be the best version of herself. Meanwhile, Lady Bird believes that she is already the best version of herself. Lady Bird tries to break away from her opinionated and wildly loving mother, but sees that she is exactly like her. The two learn to find the balance between pushing each other to be the best they can be and accepting one another for who they are.

Lady Bird’s family illustrates the themes of parenthood as well as life in middle class America. The role of Lady Bird’s father shows this in his struggle with losing his job, but also his willingness to send his daughter to college. The film asks whether or not money is quantitative to success and happiness.

Gerwig’s choice to set the film in the early 2000s allows for a commentary on culture. “The only thing good about 2002 is that it’s a palindrome” Lady Bird says at the beginning of the movie. The fear of 9/11 and terrorism is ever present in the film, allowing for Gerwig to comment on the long-lasting fear instilled in Americans years after the event.

The film’s success can be most attributed to its connection with the audience. Lady Bird shares the dreams and fears of many people her age and acts in a way that allows the audience to see both the rewards and consequences of her goals. This is played out through her relationship with both her family and friends. Most of all the film comments on having a sense of place, a feeling that the audience can connect with. Lady Bird struggles to find where she is meant to be, whether it is in Sacramento or somewhere in New York. Ultimately, she finds herself belonging with people, not so much a certain place.

A fresh commentary on a young woman’s transition into adulthood allows the audience to consider the lessons presented by Gerwig’s film. Lady Bird is a film that borrows themes from convention to craft a new coming of age story.

Lady Bird earned itself five stars in my book.