Gustavus Women in Leadership: Driving Change

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.
Gustavus Women in Leadership (GWiL) is an on campus organization that was founded in 2011. It is “a student/alumnae program that seeks to help the women of Gustavus (students, alumnae and staff) in their academic, professional and personal leadership development. GWIL is designed to inspire and develop women within and through the Gustavus community. GWIL is dedicated to prepare, support and promote the role of and opportunities for women leaders.”

The executive board is comprised of many strong women on campus, including Co-President seniors Courtney Harbeck and Anna Lundquist, seniors Meredith Fahrenz and Alicia Hanson on the Marketing/Communications Committee, senior Haley Coller and junior Mae Meierhenry on the Education Committee, senior Tarin Anding on the Finance Committee, seniors Chloe Altmann, Cassandra Lindquist, and Rebecca Woodstra on the Conference Committee, and seniors Nathalee Boissiere and Danielle Kirchner on the Outreach Committee. GWiL also has an advisory board comprised of 17 Gustie grads.

The most recent event hosted by GWiL was the sixth annual Gustavus Women in Leadership Conference on April 28 at the American Swedish Institute in Minneapolis. The theme this year was “drive change before it drives you.” Students, alumnae, and the general public were able to purchase tickets and attend this event to listen to women speak about their experiences in the business world. Keynote speakers included Beth Schnell, Gustavus alum ’82, who talked about the adjustment of switching her business tactics as her business continued to grow and Angie Bastian, founder of Angie’s BOOMCHICKAPOP®, who talked about how she began her journey in Mankato and how her products are now sold in stores across the nation. There were six other speakers, including Sarah Bridges, Carin Thomas, Manal Elattir, Jenna Johnson, Molly Nystuen, and Trish Wheaton. 

Before the conference (Photo Alicia Hanson) 

Keynote Speaker Angie Bastian (photo Alicia Hanson)

To join GWiL, visit https://gustavus.edu/leadership/women/join.php and fill out your information. Check out their Facebook page at Gustavus Women in Leadership, email womenlead@gustavus.edu, or visit their site https://gustavus.edu/leadership/women/ for more information.

Emma Hunt

Gustavus

Emma Hunt is a sophomore at Gustavus Adolphus College where she is pursuing a major in English and a minor in Dance. When she isn't hunkered down writing or sweating in a dance studio, she can be found watching makeup tutorials on YouTube or catching up on last week's episode of Once Upon a Time. Her three greatest loves are: Brendon Urie of Panic! at the Disco, FUZE lemon iced tea, and dark lipstick. In addition to writing and being Co-Senior Editor for Her Campus, Emma is also on the staff for Gustavus' literary magazines, Razor and Firethorne.
Hi! My name is Claire and I am one of the many writers for HER Campus at Gustavus. I am a Nursing Major and Peace Studies Minor. In my free time, I love doing yoga or drinking coffee/ tea. I have been to many places near and far, which includes: Mexico, Costa Rica, and South Africa. I think the most interesting thing about life is meeting new people and learning about their life stories. The best gift I believe we can share with the world is kindness and unbelievingly loud laughter. Feel free to reach out to me if you have any questions or comments on the pieces I write. Stay happy and stay true to yourself. Namaste, Claire
Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.