This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

What You’ll Need:

• Origami Paper.

• A Stick.

• Fishing Line. (You could probably try embroidery thread as well).

• Sewing Needle. (The thinner the better).

• Hot Glue Gun.

• Patience. (This takes time).

Instructions:

1. Make your paper cranes. Instructions for this are easily found online.

Pro Tip: The wall hanging will look awesome if you vary the sizes of the cranes. Origami paper is wonderful because it is thin, pre-cut, and has cool designs. It can come in different sizes. However, if you are confident in your paper-folding skills, sticky notes are also nice. They come in perfect squares. Just be careful with the “sticky” part.

2. Place the cranes out underneath the stick, positioning them in vertical lines below. Use this time to get a sense of the available space. Arrange the cranes as you like best.

3. Cut fishing line to the length you want, leaving a little extra room for tying.

4. Thread needle through the top of a crane and then through the hole at its bottom.

Pro Tip: When putting the needle through the top of the crane, pinch your fingers around the area to avoid tearing.

5. Tie a knot below the crane where you want it to sit.

6. Repeat steps 4 and 5 until multiple cranes rest on the fishing line.

7. Create however many more lines you desire.

Pro Tip: When I completed a line, I wrapped it around a hanger to prevent it from tangling with others and ensure that my line lengths were pretty consistent. This also helped weigh the line down, so I could get a sense of the final product.

8. Bust out the hot glue! Tie the lines of cranes around your stick, then glue that area for extra security.

9. Glue the knots you created in step 5. This will create a “bead” of glue big enough for the crane to rest on.

Pro Tip: I used hot glue to make these “beads.” Hindsight does wonders. You could probably avoid some hassle if you bought self-drying clay and wrapped it around the knotted part of the fishing line. Less stress and less mess.

10. Tie a fishing line to each end of the stick, so that it can hang from your wall. Or you could use a ribbon or twine, if you have those lying around.

11. If desired, add embellishments.

I am a sophomore at Gustavus Adolphus College, majoring in English. I enjoy reading, listening to music, and spending time with family and friends.