Celebrating a Remarkable Season for the Gustavus Women’s Basketball Team

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

The Gustavus Women’s Basketball team has had a very successful season this year with a record of 22-1, and two regular season games still coming up. Her Campus Gustavus got in touch with sophomore team members Kendall Thompson and Taylor Anderson to get a little insight on what it’s like to be a part of the team, and what we can expect to see from them as the rest of the season plays out.

What is it like being on a team that has done so well this season?

“Being on a team that has done so well this year has been very fun. I think that our success has brought us closer together in a way that we haven’t been before. We spend so much time together and it has given us an opportunity to bond with one another. It’s fun being able to do what you love with your best friends.”

What is the most rewarding/best/most fun part of being on the team?

“The most rewarding parts of the season are the wins. We put in many hours of practice, lifting, and film and I think we have been rewarded with the amount of wins we have.”

Photo courtesy of Gustavus Athletics Flickr

What do you think has contributed to the success of the season?

“Our team chemistry has been the biggest contribution to our success this season. We all get along and I think it shows on the court. Also, I think our coach has put in a lot of time to make us the best team we can be. She is always willing to watch film and work with us outside practice. Without our coaches we would not be where are today.”

What is the team’s record? What is still coming up for the season and team?

“We are 22-1 with two games remaining in the regular season. Playoffs start next Wednesday continuing with Friday and Sunday. We are hoping to receive a bye for the first game and get a home game on Friday, February 24th. We are hoping to get as many fans as we can to this game for some support!”

What are your hopes for the team for the rest of this year and next year?

“We have put ourselves in a position to contend in the championship game and go to the NCAA tournament. We hope to make the tournament and go as far as we can. We have three seniors on the team that we will lose for next year. We are going to need some people to step up and fill their shoes in order to have a team that is just as successful next year.”

The Gustavus community is extremely proud to cheer for the team and to have this group of successful women on campus. We wish the best for the team as they finish off their regular season in the coming weeks, and look to compete in the NCAA tournament!

Kristi is a sophomore at Gustavus Adolphus College where she is pursuing a major in Communication Studies and a minor in Music. At Gustavus, Kristi is involved in the instrumental and vocal music programs, and is a news writer for the on-campus newspaper, The Gustavian Weekly. A few of her favorite things include: cats, cake, watching sitcoms, and spending time with friends and family.
President of Her Campus at Gustavus Senior Communication Studies 2018 TFA Corp Member Collegiate Fellow HGTV enthusiast