This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

This year, Gustavus acquired a shining gem to run the Courtyard Café. “The New Coffee Lady” on campus is Brenda Haugen.

Brenda, a Wisconsin native, currently lives in St. Peter with her husband Peter Haugen, Head Football Coach / Instructor in Health and Exercise Science in Athletics and Health and Exercise Science at Gustavus, and their three children Esekiel (Zeek), Zoe, and Zetta. Brenda attended Bethel University as an undergraduate and St. Thomas University as a graduate student. She is currently the Supervisor of Gustavus’ coffee shop, the Courtyard Café.

Her Campus received the chance to interview Brenda right after the 10 – 10:30 a.m. chapel break coffee rush.

How was your spring break, Brenda?

“It was good! I was here on campus working all week. It was helpful because it was just quiet and I got some things done.”

What is your favorite part about working in the Courtyard Café?

“Oh, the students for sure! Hands down.”

What is your cup of coffee?

“French Roast.”

What are a few of your favorite activities when you are not at work?

“I love working out, having coffee with my husband, and hanging out with my kids.”

Where are a few of your favorite places to travel?

“My favorite places to travel depend on what I’m traveling for. I would say, for relaxation it’s the beach— anywhere that has a beach. If it is for adventure, my favorite place is Canada.”

What are you looking forward to this spring on campus?

“I love to watch sports, so I’m looking forward to watching tennis, softball, and some baseball.”

Your son Zeek is going to college next year and is thinking about attending Gustavus. What advice would you give him for being successful in college?

“Have balance, work hard, meet lots of new friends, and experience new adventures.”

What are a few words of wisdom you would give to Gustie ladies?

“Take care of yourselves; what you eat and how your sleep is very important. Develop a few nice close friends to keep you accountable.”

“You can’t be all things to everyone at all times, but you can be all things eventually.” – Brenda Haugen

Kayla Cardenas is an event writer for Gustavus Adolphus College Her Campus. Kayla is from Anoka, Minnesota and is currently a student at Gustavus Adolphus College. Kayla is a double major in dance and managment. Kayla is involved with Her Campus, Campus Activties Board, Hall Council, G.O.L.D, Gustavus Dance Company, and was the Secretary for January term Campus Activites Board. Kayla joined Her Campus at Gustavus to advance her skills in event planning and writting skills. Kayla enjoys the Her Campus community, and is excited to write and plan events for fellow Gustie women. Kayla's hobbies are dancing, hanging out with friends, playing video games, and relaxing outside while drinking coffee."You don't always get what you want, but you will always have Netflix."-Kayla Cardenas
Katie Allen is Editor-in-Chief for Gustavus' Her Campus Chapter. She is currently in her fourth year as an English major. Her role models include Emma Watson, Hillary Clinton, and Leslie Knope.