Avery Bather, Gustavus’ 2015 Saint Lucia

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Gustavus chapter.

On Thursday, December 8th Gustavus will celebrate its 76th annual Festival of Saint Lucia, but what is The Festival of Saint Lucia and why does GAC celebrate it every year?

To give you a little background: Saint Lucia Day is a traditional Swedish holiday (which brings GAC back to its Scandinavian roots), that falls on December 13th each year. In Sweden, the holiday celebration commences early in the morning when the eldest daughter in each family wakes early in the morning and serves breakfast to her family. Saint Lucia Day is also called the “Festival of Light”, which explains why a wreath of candles is worn atop the head of each family’s chosen Lucia. Saint Lucia is a symbol of the light that will return following a dark winter and the hope that should remain even in during dark times.

Traditional St. Lucia Buns known as Lussebullar are served at breakfast. 

For Gustavus, Saint Lucia Day has become a well-known and well-loved tradition. Each year six sophomore women are chosen to represent the school on the Court of St. Lucia. These women are selected by Gustavus students based on their courageous leadership, service to others, strength of character, and compassion and therefore is a light to others. Last year, Avery Bather, a Honors Psychological Science and Music double major, was crowned 2015 Saint Lucia.

In an interview with Her Campus Gustavus, Avery reflected on her experience as Saint Lucia and her excitement for what is to come at this year’s festival.

How did you react when you found out you had been selected for the 2015 Saint Lucia Court?

“I’ll never forget the members of the Guild coming to my room late at night to bring me my rose and letter to tell me I was on the court. I was shocked! It was so special.”

How about when you were crowned as Saint Lucia?

“Being crowned the 2015 Saint Lucia was such an emotional, powerful, and unforgettable experience. This happened at such a significant time in my life, after I had finally found the courage to stand up and report my sexual assault, and after I overcame some serious health problems related to the assault. My life was utter chaos for many, many months, so when I was suddenly being recognized for bringing light to others, showing strength of character, courageous leadership, service, and compassion, it brought me so much joy. The Saint Lucia tradition will forever hold a special place in my heart.”

What does the Gustavus tradition of the Festival of Saint Lucia mean to you?

“I think the Saint Lucia tradition is so beautiful, because it gives the Gustavus community an opportunity to acknowledge the incredible strength and leadership that exists in the young women on this campus. This tradition is unlike anything else. It’s not a beauty pageant or a homecoming court nomination—it’s so much more. The women selected to be on the Court of Saint Lucia are actively impacting our community and bringing so much light and warmth to the people around them.”

What has been the most rewarding part of being part of the Saint Lucia tradition?

“Knowing that my community views me as a leader and someone who brings light to this campus is very rewarding. I love this place a ridiculous amount, and it feels great to know that it loves me too!”

How would you describe the experience of being Saint Lucia? How has the experience impacted you?

“Being crowned Saint Lucia last year definitely had quite an impact on me. It meant so much to me to be recognized for such important qualities, and it allowed me to see what kind of an impact I have on my community through my actions and interactions. The experience also continues to push me to be the best leader I can be for our community, and to do as much as I can to let my voice be heard on issues that I am passionate about. I have realized the impact I can have on my community by using my own personal experiences to motivate and create change.”

What was it like to wear a crown of lit candles? Were you terrified?

“I was utterly terrified—I nearly passed out! The crown is super heavy and tight so that the candles don’t fall off, so it’s certainly not the most comfortable headpiece. I was pretty convinced my hair or something else would catch fire.”

PC: Bryden Giving

What are you most looking forward to about this year’s festival?

“I am so looking forward to getting to know the six women on the court this year. It is a group of incredibly strong and influential women that bring such important qualities and leadership to their community.”

The Festival of Saint Lucia will be held on December 8th, during the 10 a.m. chapel service and will feature a homily from Avery. Be sure to attend to take part in the glorious Gustavus tradition!

Kjersten is a senior at Gustavus Adolphus College in Saint Peter, Minnesota. She is pursuing a major in English and one day hopes to work in the exciting world of book publishing. When she's not reading books or taking pictures of them for her blog, she loves watching period dramas (Outlander, Victoria, and Downton Abbey, to name a few), playing with her beagle, Rocky, and listening to Ed Sheeran on repeat. Kjersten serves as Senior Editor for the Gustavus Chapter of Her Campus.